Question

Honor Student
Emuuu
Message 1 of 12 (54,074 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart C4780 wireless setup under 10.6

Alright, I have a Photosmart C4780 printer, and I'm trying to get it connected to the network. I need to connect it wirelessly because the three-foot USB cable it came with just doesn't cut it.

I have no clue how to connect it. I see nothing regarding networks in the printer software, and the menus on the printer itself are cryptic and buggy.

Any Mac instructions I can find are for older versions using actual HP software. From what I've gathered, if I'm using Snow Leopard, I'll be using drivers and software I already have. The only Snow Leopard instructions I can find only cover setting up over USB.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 2 of 12 (54,070 Views)

Re: Photosmart C4780 wireless setup under 10.6

Download the latest HP software here

Run the program and intially have the USB cable attached to the printer, you will get to a point in the setup where it will ask you if you want to setup the printer for wireless.  Confirm the wireless setup and just follow it through.  You'll need to know your Wireless network security settings, and enure that your Mac is on the wireless network you want to use with the printer.  It is pretty straightforward.

Honor Student
Emuuu
Message 3 of 12 (54,062 Views)

Thank you loads.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to find an answer. I guess it threw me off when I read the sticker on my packaging regarding Snow Leopard. I didn't think there was any HP software available.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 4 of 12 (54,060 Views)

Excellent!  I am glad we got you up and running! Enjoy your printer.

Honor Student
btwall
Message 5 of 12 (53,697 Views)

MBJustice, it's great that you got this user running, but it's a pity you did so by having him load HP bloatware on his Mac, in direct contradiction of the best practice (agreed to by HP and Apple) -- use the software already included in Snow Leopard.

Ideally, HP would give Photosmart owners a set of decent instructions, or maybe a utility that runs off the CD *before* the unnecessary software loads, for configuring the wireless settings in printers and all-in-one devices. Failing that, here's what Snow Leopard users can do:

1.  Set up an ad hoc network to talk directly from the Mac to the Photosmart:

• Turn on the Photosmart and make sure the wireless radio is enabled (the blue light is on above the antenna).
  • On the Mac, disable AirPort for a few moments, then enable it.
  • Look in the Airport list for a Devices category, and an entry with something like "hpsetup".
  • Select that entry and let AirPort connect to it (may take a few moments); the normal fan-shaped AirPort will change to a little icon that looks something like an iPad.

2.  Establish a Mac web browser session with the Photosmart:

• On the Photosmart display, select Scan > Wireless Menu > Wireless Settings > Print Network Configuration Page > OK.
  • When the report prints, look for General Information > URL(s) for Embedded Web Server, where there should be an http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx address (where x is a number digit).
  • On the Mac, open Safari or Firefox or some other web browser and connect to the http address from the previous step; after a few seconds, you should see an "HP Photosmart ..." web page coming from the Photosmart device.

3.  Change the Photosmart wireless settings to match your network:

• Select the Networking tab.
  • Under General > Device, give the Photosmart the name of your choice; I used "PhotosmartC4780" (it won't accept any more characters than this); be sure to press Apply.
  • Under Connections > Wireless (802.11), select the IPv4 Configuration tab and make sure both sections are set to Automatic... (assuming your wireless network assigns IP addresses and DNS dynamically with DHCP); be sure to press Apply if you change anything.
  • Still under Connections > Wireless (802.11), select the Advanced tab for the next several steps:
  • Enter the SSID of your network (DON'T press Apply yet).
  • Select "Infrastructure" (which causes "Ad Hoc" to be deselected), then chose the Authentication or Encryption method used by your network and the password (if any).
  • Press Apply; your browser will indicate that it is loading a new or refreshed web page, but it never finishes, because the Photosmart (you hope) is now talking to your wireless router.

4.  Install the Photosmart on your Mac:

• Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax and click "+" at the bottom of the printers list.
  • When the Add Printer window opens, select Default at the top.
  • If all's well, your Photosmart will appear here as a Bonjour printer; select it, give it a Location if you wish, and click Add.
  • After a little activity, the Photosmart should be visible in your printer list and ready to use.

5.  Connect to the Photosmart to look at settings:

• In System Preferences > Print & Fax, select your Photosmart in the printer list, then click the Options & Supplies button.
  • A window should drop down, and if you click the Show Printer Webpage button, your default web browser will open a window and give you the same web page view you got via the Ad Hoc network in section 2 above.

Is all this more complicated than just clicking Yes and Continue during the CD installation process? Sure, but it's considerably less complicated than the process you have to follow to remove all that bloatware, especially if you wait until after doing software updates on the Mac that get hung up forever with  "The system extension '/System/Library/Extensions/hpPlugInInt.kext' was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

Honor Student
Emuuu
Message 6 of 12 (53,607 Views)

Btwall, thanks a bunch! You're an internet superhero. This is the reply I was originally hoping for. *high five*

Sadly, I've got a problem. I can't get past the second step. The radio is on, but when I print a network config page, the URL turns out to be http://0.0.0.0, and the network status is "offline".

Could it be possible I'm connecting to the wrong "hpsetup" network? I'm connected to something on the computer end, but the printer doesn't seem to be connected.

Sorry for the late reply, I simply wasn't in the mood to try my password/username combos to see which one I used for this forum. :smileyhappy:

Student
up4dance
Message 7 of 12 (47,864 Views)

After struggling for an hour trying to set up my wireless network, I came across your solution, which solved my problems immediately. Thank you!
Student
beccawass
Message 8 of 12 (36,617 Views)

I have tried both of the things above and neither have worked.  For the first suggestion i get to the network setup and then it tells me that the device is not connected and that i should connect it but it is.  It also cannot find any of my wireless networks.  

For the first suggestion step 1 didn't work at all.  

Any suggestions on how to fix these? 

Student
Antebaba
Message 9 of 12 (35,519 Views)

How to set up HP Photosmart C4780 wireless printer?

Honor Student
hadster
Message 10 of 12 (30,374 Views)

HELP!

I have followed your instructions to the letter.  I am told that I'm successfully connected to the wireless network etc.  And then...

I keep getting told to set up a printer queue.  However, once I send somthing to be printed - the only way I know to set up a queue - it prints. So, I put the item on "pause" and try to set up the wireless....

But it doesn't work.

Any help will be greatly appriciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation