Question

Honor Student
vienna82
Message 1 of 44 (25,873 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart Plus B209 wireless connection unavailable

Hi,

I just got a new Photosmart Plus B209 because my old 4580 died. I had the old printer set up for wireless connection but the new Photosmart tells me that the network is unavailable. When I press help it tells me to make sure there's no connection and to check for interferences. Well there is none. Printer and router are practically next to each other. I used the HP set up guide and it tells me that the network is unavailable (which it isn't because otherwise I wouldn't be able to write this online).

I use a MacBook 10.5.8 with a Timecapsule and a D-Link cable modem. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 44 (25,847 Views)

Re: Photosmart Plus B209 wireless connection unavailable

Is your SSID being broadcast?  What does it say on the Wireless Config printout?  I can help, just need more info.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
RSaunders
Message 3 of 44 (25,623 Views)

I have this problem with my brand new B209.  The printer seems to be looking for an SSID of "hpsetup".  Of course, this in not my SSID.  I can't find a button that lets me set the SSID or choose the SSID that the printer has found.  When I print the printer's "network status", it shows that it found my network, but that it's not using it.  I can't connect to it from my computer to set the SSID, because it's in another room.  That's why I bought a wireless native printer!!  There is a WPS setup commnd, but my network is not encrypted.  Where is the "Choose Network" setup function?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 44 (25,633 Views)

You cannot connect this printer to a wireless router via the front panel. You must use the install CD and follow the instructions for network setup.

Alternatively, you can use WPS setpup (don't confuse this with WPA or WEP) if your router has a WPS button or functionality.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
RSaunders
Message 5 of 44 (25,613 Views)

Mac

I am using the Install CD.  It says it can't find the printer.  No Kidding!  The printer is on the wrong network.  How can I use the install CD if I can't get the printer on the network to talk to the computer?

Mac

By The Way, I've been on "music on hold" with HP support for 30 minutes with no answer.  You are faster than the support guys.  Since they don't support Chat for Mac users, this Forum is all the HP support we're ever gonna get.

Mac

HP seems to have a problem, caused by the fact they make Windoze computers, they seem to forget not everybody has a Windozer.

Mac

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 44 (25,600 Views)

The printer is probably not on the wrong network.  It broadcasts an "hpsetup" signal for ad-hoc setup (read the manual for more info).

Have you gotten to the install point where you temporarily connect the USB cable to tell your printer about your network? 

If you are running 10.5, load this.  

I am employed by HP
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 44 (25,594 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since you have a Time Capsule, you can use WPS to add the printer to your network.

First, start the WPS Pushbutton method (under the printer's wireless menu) on the B209 printer.

Then do the following from your Mac:

1. open the Apple Airport Utility
  2. select your wireless router
  3. select Manual Setup
  4. select Add Wireless Clients ... from the Base Station menu
  5. Select First Attempt then press Continue.

You have to start the Apple Add Wireless Client process within two minutes of starting the printer's WPS pushbutton method. Actually, order doesn't matter ... you can start the Add Wireless Clients process on the the Apple router first then start the printer's WPS pushbutton method.

Now finish by installing the SW that came with the HP printer.

For others reading this, if you run Snow Leopard, the B209 driver is already loaded into the OS (open the Print & Fax applet under System Preferences and press the [+] button. Highlight your printer and press Add)

Message Edited by Wi-Fi-Guy on 10-07-2009 05:44 PM
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
RSaunders
Message 8 of 44 (25,586 Views)

Yes, PrintDoc,  I'm there.

For Future Googlers, this paragraph is  NOT in the manual, but it should be.

========= cut here =========

The HP Photosmart Plus B209 Printer cannot be configured wirelessly using Mac OS X.  To use this printer with Mac OS X you must: a) attach it to your computer with a USB cable; b) install and configure it as a USB printer; c) configure which wireless network you want it to use; d) unhook the USB cable; e) remove all the printers installed in steps (a) and (b); f) install the printer again as a wireless printer.  This procedure is necessary because HP chose not to add a "choose network" function to the printer's settings software, because there is some other whacky way to work around the function on Windoze computers.

========= cut here =========

I did finally get through to HP phone support (75 minutes of "ads on hold").   They immediately explained that the printer wasn't configurable wirelessly unless you used Windoze.  This is a well known customer support problem, just not one that's described in the manual or this site.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 9 of 44 (25,594 Views)

I'm sorry, but the HP Supprort Agent is mistaken.

If you have an Apple Airport Extreme wireless-router or an Apple Time Capsule, the HP Photosmart Plus B209 Printer can be configured wirelessly using Mac OS X.  See my posting here for details.

In addition, you can manually connect the HP Photosmart Plus B209 Printer to your network.  Here's how:

1. Turn on the printer's radio.  It will create a Wi-Fi ad-hoc network called hpsetup.
  2.  From your Mac, connect to the ad-hoc network named hpsetup.
  3. Open Safari.  Select Bookmarks, then Show All Bookmarks.  On the left pane of Safari's browser window, select Bonjour.
  4. Your printer should be listed in the right pane of Safari's browser window.  Double click on the printer.  This should bring up the printer's internal web page.
  5. Select the Networking tab, then Wireless (802.11) tab on the left.
  6. Click Start Wizard.  Follow the prompts to connect the printer to your wireless network.
  7. The moment the printer connects to your network, your Mac will disconnect from the printer's ad-hoc network.  Reconnect the Mac to your home network.
  8. Verify that you can see the printer by repeating step #3 abovel

Now finish up by installing the SW on your Mac. install the SW.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
TamJam
Message 10 of 44 (21,599 Views)

Crazy question Wi-Fi_Guy...

You say install the SW on your Mac. What's the SW?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation