Question

Student
subwaychronicle
Message 1 of 21 (8,888 Views)

Photosmart Printer C4780 says OFFLINE. Cannot print

Hello,

I have the Photosmart C4780 printer and my computer is a Mac with OSX operating system. Even though this is printer has wireless capabilities, I always connect using a USB cable. I don't have a router and so I set up the printer connection with USB.  I've been using the printer for about 6 months this way with no problem. 

Then suddenly the blue light above the wireless indicator on the printer comes on and I can no longer print. Instead I get a message saying that the printer is offline. To my knowledge I didn't click anything to change the settings. 

I checked the forum posts and tried some things that others have listed - I reinstalled the software. I uninstalled all of the software using HP uninstalled (though it didn't look like it fully uninstalled) and then tried to reinstall. Neither worked.

Help! Does anyone know what I can do now? 

Thanks! 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 21 (8,887 Views)

Re: Photosmart Printer C4780 says OFFLINE. Cannot print

From the control panel of the printer go to Setup (Scan) > Networks.  Scroll up and down to turn the wireless radio off.

Now, reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System. WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
captkirk54
Message 3 of 21 (8,821 Views)

What are you supposed to do when you follow all of these steps outlined AND you even turn the wireless radio back on, and it still says printer is offline?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 21 (8,818 Views)

What version of OS X?  Where did you get the software for your printer?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
captkirk54
Message 5 of 21 (8,816 Views)

Snow Leopard - OS X 10.6.4  There was a sticker on the outside of the printer box that read: Attention:  The HP CD that is in-box is compatible with OS X 10.4 and 10.5 only.  Please do not install CD if using OS X 10.6.  HP print and scan functionality with Mac OS X 10.6 is built into Snow Leopard.  So I guess I got the software from the Apple Store along with my MacBook.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 21 (8,796 Views)

Are you trying to connect through a router?  The OP was not.

If so, tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
captkirk54
Message 7 of 21 (8,788 Views)

No... The MacBook receives a signal from a Linksys router quite some distance away for internet.  The HP Photosmart C4780 printer and the MacBook are fairly close in proximity, compared to the router location.  I was under the impression the MacBook was supposed to communicate with the printer via its built-in "Airport."  Am I mistaken about that?  I assumed that was what a wireless computer and a wireless printer were supposed to do. (communicate with each other, not through something else)

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 21 (8,776 Views)

The printer can communicate with your MacBook directly.  However, your MacBook can only connect with one device at a time.  So, when you are on another wireless network, your MacBook will not be able to communicate with the printer.

The printer is really designed to be part of a wireless network in your home.  It can be placed anywhere in the home where there is a wi-fi signal and power and all computers can use it for printing and scanning.

The way you want to use it can work, but the printer's primary design was not for that.

If you want it to work right, you need your own router and Internet access.

I am employed by HP
Student
nani7695
Message 9 of 21 (7,013 Views)

my printer says "offline"   how do i get it say "ready"?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 21 (7,007 Views)

How is it connected?  To what?  What operating system?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation