Question

Honor Student
rbstore
Message 1 of 23 (15,506 Views)

Printer going Idle

I have an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless printer and in the middle of a printing job, the printer will go idle. It happens almost every time I print something and it makes it very hard to run my business when my printer stops printing in the middle of a job. I have reinstalled the drivers with the cd and I even went online and downloaded the new drivers and it still does it. Once it goes idle I have to hit resume printing and it will just start the job over again from the beginning which is a problem when I'm printing multiple pages. Please help!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 23 (15,498 Views)

Re: Printer going Idle

What operating system?

How is the printer connected?  If to a network, tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rbstore
Message 3 of 23 (15,482 Views)

The computer is a Mac, the printer is connected via USB so it is directly connected to the computer. It's also a newer problem. The problem actually started when I installed the updated drivers from the site. The printer wouldn't scan items because the new computer wasn't compatible so I downloaded new drivers to ensure I could scan, and then the computer started going idle randomly. It might be a coincidence that they happened at the same time but I'm not sure... 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 23 (15,476 Views)

OK, but what version of OS X?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rbstore
Message 5 of 23 (15,469 Views)

Oh sorry, it is a Mac OS X Version 10.6.4 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 23 (15,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, did you load the printer software from the CD (it sounds like you have).  Unless it has recently changed, the software on the CD is only for 10.5 and earlier and will not work well with 10.6.  You have to uninstall it using the 'scrubber' option:

Unless your CD says it specifically supports 10.6 Snow Leopard, you must uninstall it using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac.

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Student
multiplierme
Message 7 of 23 (12,752 Views)

I also need help. Our printer HP Deskjet F4185 All-in-One is turned on and will not respond to any button. It does not even turn off until power cord is unplugged. It doesn't print. Computer says that status is pending. It is just on-forever. All lights on, no blinking or anything.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 23 (12,742 Views)

With the printer on unplug the power from both the printer and the wall for 5 minutes.  Make sure to plug into the wall and not through a power strip or surge protector.

I am employed by HP
Student
ashleyz
Message 9 of 23 (4,769 Views)

I am also having a problem similar to this. This issue just started today, previously I have had no issues connecting to my printer. My printer is a HP Photosmart C4700 series, and my laptop is an HP pavilion. My printer and my laptop are both connected to the wireless network, however, when I attempt to print a document it continues to say that my printer is "idle". I have tried restarting all three things (printer, laptop, and router), and I have used the troubleshoot option the laptop is giving me, which instructed me to reinstall the printer software. I did that as well, and at the very end it told me that it couldn't connect to the printer. I can see the printer under my devices on the control panel, so I'm not exactly sure what is going on. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 23 (4,758 Views)

You posted about your Windows machine in the Mac forums.

Nevertheless, let's do this:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing. Get its IP from a Network Test printed from the front panel of the printer.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Devices & Printers.  Delete the current instance of the printer.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation