Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am installing a HP Office Jet Pro 8600 on a wireless connection to my Mac (latest desktop version).  I have installed the printer and at times am able to get the Mac to recognize the printer.  Intermittantly, when the printer first prints it hangs up on the first 1% of the job then after a while it prints the page.  The next pages print ok , but when i come back to print again the printer is  "not connected", the wireles light is steady blue on the printer. If I disconnect the power to the D-Link wireless device, wait a minute and replug the power after a period of time the printer might show up again as connected. My iPad works fine on the wireless network connection.  My wife's Mac Book won't recognize the  printer at all on the wireless network.  I noted that the ipv4 addresses are slightly different oneach device, my Mac, thePrinter, my wifes Mac Book.  The dfference being the last digit of the ipv4 address.  Previously I bought a Lemark printer which had the same exact problem with wireless setup unti l took everything to the Mac Store for my "One on One" and an associate who made it work with a magic apple switch.  The Lexmark printer is now in the trashcan becuase it jammed up with paper so frequently that it broke, before the (minimal) ink cartriges were even used but thats another story.  On printer two , about ready to go postal. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The IP addresses are supposed to be different, that is how devices are identified by the router.

D-link routers can have trouble with HP printers.  Make sure the firmware is updated on your router.

Finally, Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 192.168.0.100 to .199.  Let's use 192.168.0.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Download and install this: support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Let's reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

The IP addresses are supposed to be different, that is how devices are identified by the router.

D-link routers can have trouble with HP printers.  Make sure the firmware is updated on your router.

Finally, Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 192.168.0.100 to .199.  Let's use 192.168.0.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Download and install this: support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Let's reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Sorry "type that ip address into a browser to reveal the printers internal settings".   I assume you mean a "browser" on the Mac, but the printer is not connected to the mac.  Where on the Mac "browser" do I type the ip address to reveal the printers inner settings ? There is no "browser on the printer screen.  I have the printout for the printer settings.

HP Recommended

You are trying to establish a reliable connection between your Mac and the printer through the router.

Open Safari (or whatever browser you prefer), enter the printer's current IP address into the address bar (like where you would type www.yahoo.com to go straight to a specific webpage).

If the printer's settings do not come up, restart the router by unplugging its power momentarily.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

It appears to work !  The magic apple switch was the download. Many thanks for your help and patience....

HP Recommended

I have a MacBook Pro and I was connected to m HP 8600 but then wasn't.  I have gone to System Preferences, deleted my printers (so that I could start over, frehs) but the Add button won't let me add my printer. Now what?

HP Recommended
WHen I hit +, no list shows up to select.
HP Recommended
Is the printer connected to a network? What router? Have you restarted it?

What router are you using?
I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Hi- I am struggling my with mac air. It was working great printing with with HP 3520 series both connected or wirelessly. Now, both mine and my husbands lenovo lap top can't print wirelessly. I have tried unplugging the router and plugging back in. I CAN print from my mac air when I am connected via the USB- it just doesn't see the printer connection to the network to print wirelessly. I have reloaded the printer.

I am working on a OSx version 10.7.5 

Is there a simple fix? It is driving us mad!

HP Recommended

the IP address is not recognised if I browse for it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.