Question

Top Student
im1derful2
Message 1 of 10 (11,549 Views)

Printer not detected

Hi!

Frustration is setting in! Trying to setup a C4680 and it is totally unrecognizable on a new Imac with Snow Leopard 10.6.3. I've went thru all of the procedures for adding a printer that are in David Pogues book. I've tried changing USB ports and cables. It's powered on and will do all of the set-up stuff (copies- scans) within itself, but is not recognized by the computer at all. Any suggestions????? Thanks

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 10 (11,541 Views)

Re: Printer not detected

Are you trying to do this through any HP software?  Where did you get it?

Have you tried to reset the printing system?:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
im1derful2
Message 3 of 10 (11,528 Views)

PrintDoc,

This is brand new, purchased with the Imac. There is a warning on the box not to use the included software because it is not compatible with Snow Leopard. The Imac has never had a printer hooked up to it as it just came out of the box also. I'll try the printer reset as suggested, but my intuition tells me it's a bad printer. Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know the results later on today.

Top Student
im1derful2
Message 4 of 10 (11,498 Views)

Well I tried resetting the print system and still nothing. I don't believe that the printer is sending a signal to the computer at all. Any other suggestions?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 10 (11,492 Views)

I have seen this be caused by a cheap or old USB cable.  Try changing again to a known good cable.

Reset the printer itself.  Turn it off, unplug from the back of the printer (not the wall), wait 30 seconds, plug in and turn on.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
im1derful2
Message 6 of 10 (11,490 Views)

I've done  that already, 3 different cables, tried every port on the Imac, and have reset the printer by unplugging from the back and the front. Still zero on the printer signal. Time to send it back to HP???????????????

Grad Student
yellstr
Message 7 of 10 (11,484 Views)

There is s way to tell if this is a software or hardware problem.

While having the printer powered on and connected to the Mac, open Apple Menu ()  -> About This Mac  and click "More Info…" button. Now look in the Hardware/USB section. If you don't see your printer there - this is a hardware problem, and there is nothing you really can do about it, but indeed send the printer back to HP.

If you do see your printer there then it's software problem, and it should be possible to fix it by deleting all HP stuff and installing latest from Apple or HP site.

Top Student
im1derful2
Message 8 of 10 (11,426 Views)

Thanks, that was the solution. It showed no printer connection on the USB --faulty hardware-printer being replaced.

Student
alanbourne50
Message 9 of 10 (11,159 Views)

This is not exactly in response to the original posters problem, however your suggestion lead me to a solution to my printer problem. I have an f4100 deskjet and recently I could not get it to be recognized by three different computers (2 laptops and my desktop). I tried all of the uninstalls, resets, driver updates, etc. and nothing worked. Finally, I found your suggestion to reset through the "Printer and Faxes" menu. I went there and right-clicked as suggested (something that I had not done before). This lead me to a menu with "Server Properties". I was not aware of this menu. Anyways, upon some further poking, I found the original driver install to my printer. I did not know it was there as I had already uninstalled the printer when the problem first appeared. I deleted the driver in the Server Properties, unplugged the printer USB cable and then plugged it in again and voila...bob's your uncle. Apparently it was a driver issue that made my printer unrecognizable to both Vista and XP. Now I just need to repeat the above steps on the Vista and hopefully come to the same result. Thanks.

Student
DanielFalgerho
Message 10 of 10 (7,952 Views)

And when does not, what do you advise?

I click on +, add a printer screen appears and lets me type a printer name but everything is grayed out

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation