Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm not sure why, but whenever I print something, instead of black-it prints in blue.  I've installed a new hp black cartridge and it happens with multiple programs (word, architectural program, etc.)

Is there some setting that I could have accidentally selected?  

Thanks in advance.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

What printer?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Same problem of printing in blue not black on C4380.  If doc is in word it prints OK but as soon as I try PDF or screen photo I always get blue no matter what level of ink I call for... any idea what to do.  Changed ink and makes no difference.  Supply level warning keeps showing also.

HP Recommended

What happens when you replace the black cartridge with a new one?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Did change ink out with brand new HP 74 and problem still exists including a note that says ink level low.  Still up for suggestions or is it time to buy a new printer?  Thanks

HP Recommended

Reset the printer by turning it off, unplugging power from the back of the printer, wait 30 seconds, plug back in and turn on.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

tried rebooting by unplugging from the back and the blue ink prblem still persists even if I cange the setting to black only or grayscale... from online it always prints blue or screen shots... Is it time to for purchasing a new printer?... if I have to spend $40 to talk to HP on the phone about a 3 yr old printer I may as well spend $80 for a brand new one unless you have any more ideas I can try?  Thanks....

HP Recommended

This may actually be a software problem.   Try uninstalling the HP software:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Download new software from here.  - (you never stated your operating system - make sure to pick the correct version!)

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

What happens when you print a self-test video from the control panel?  Do the text portions of the self-test page print in blue or black?

This video explains how to print the self-test page.

The self-test page helps you determine if the blue is related to the printing software or the printer/cartridges.

I am an HP employee.  I do not represent HP on this website.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

before I uninstall thought I'd try the self-test idea.  I'm running OS 10.6.3 on the MacBookPro... lets see if I can describe the outcome and determine if it's possibly a cartrige or software problem.  Vertical and horizontal allignment are both  -12, Black Bidirectional 0,0, 28 Color Bidirectional is -13, -13, 3 : 0, 0, 0,  Color test patern (1) is blank, Black Cartridge test pattern (0) shows some very light blue bars then black vert/horizonal pattern.  Below that is a goooood soldi black line apx .25 thick with blue of the same thickness but not as solid

For the Color areas  Cyan, violet, green shows color blue (same as bar above) whearas magenta, yellow, and red are blank.  

Will replacing the color cartrige prevent blue from showing up in documents when black is all I ask for?

If more info is needed after total page count of 434 please let me know.  I have replaced the black cartridge. 

I will uninstall software if necessary though I do have another printer from HP in my list. 

Thanks... and hope this problem can be solved.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.