Question

Top Student
chromdome
Message 1 of 14 (5,870 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printing wirelessly with airport extreme, HP P1005 laser printer, and iMac snow leopard computer

HP P1005 prints when connected to iMac.  When printer is connected to the airport extreme, and a print job is sent to the printer the printer is recognized by the network but the printer puts the job on hold.  It won't print.  I have talked with both Apple and HP support, and they say I am doing all the right things and then refer me to the other.  Is there any help out there?  Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 14 (5,865 Views)

Re: Printing wirelessly with airport extreme, HP P1005 laser printer, and iMac snow leopard computer

There are a few thing to check:

- Make sure the Airport has the latest firmware (7.4.2).

- Reboot the printer and then the Airport.

- Reset the printing system on your Mac:

• Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
  • Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.
  • Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
chromdome
Message 3 of 14 (5,857 Views)

Re: Printing wirelessly with airport extreme, HP P1005 laser printer, and iMac snow leopard computer

Airport Extreme has firmware 7.5.

I rebooted the printer and then the Airport Extreme.  I reset the printing system on my iMac.  Then I sent a page to the printer.  It didn't print.  The sys setting reported "connected to printer" but the hold status had a red exclamation point.  I sent a test page for printing, and the sys setting reported printer busy will retry in 10 seconds.

I don't know if this helps trouble shoot or not, but what was suggested I believe I had tried before coming to this Forum.  Anyway, thanks very much for your attention to my situation.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 14 (5,848 Views)

Can you print a self-test from the front of the printer?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
chromdome
Message 5 of 14 (5,837 Views)

The HP P1005 has no provision for printing from the printer.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 14 (5,833 Views)

Have you tried a different USB cable?  Is the printer plugged directly into the Airport (not using a USB hub)?

I am kind of running out of ideas, here.  The Airport firmware rev looks funny to me, it must be an older model.  My brand new Time Capsule is running 7.4.2.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
chromdome
Message 7 of 14 (5,830 Views)

PrintDoc,

I really appreciate the help you have offered me.  In your latest posting, you surmised that my Time Capsule firmware must be an older model.  Actually, I purchased the time capsule on Sunday so version 7.5 is the very latest.  I know that because I just hung up from speaking with an AppleCare support person in their Airport Support Group.  I can tell you that Apple has not yet made that update available on the internet.  Apple Support walked me through setting up the HP LJ P1005 printers on the wireless network, and lo and behold it worked.  The printer now works wirelessly.

Again, thanks for your help.

Over and out!!!!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 14 (5,825 Views)

Oh, thanks for the tip on 7.5!

Also, can you explain what the Apple person told you to do to make it work so that I (and others) can learn?

Thanks

I am employed by HP
Top Student
chromdome
Message 9 of 14 (5,818 Views)

OK, here is what Apple Airport support had me do.

1. Make sure my cable from P1005 to Time Capsule (TC) was properly connected (it was after I moved it from the iMac to the TC)
  2. Open Airport Utility to make sure the TC was recognizing the P1005 (it was)
  3. In Airport Utility he asked me all of the settings, and they were all appropriate
  4. Closed Airport Utility and opened system preferences to Print & Fax
  5. In Print & Fax, removed the P1005 as it had been connected direct to the iMac (by using the minus sign)
  6. Using the plus sign, added the P1005 (with bonjour rather than iMac connection)
  7. Checked the print menu to determine that the printer was connected to the TC
  8. Selected a document and printed it with the P1005 now printing wirelessly

That's it.  The Apple Airport support person described the process to me as re-queueing the printer.

I hope this helps.  I have had the iMac for 2 weeks and 2 days, and have been trouble shooting the wireless network during most of this time.  I am new to Mac, but love the support I have been getting from my local Apple Store, from the people at AppleCare support, and from this HP Forum.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 14 (5,809 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for passing that along.  Those are essentially my instructions in my first post:

- Reset the printing system on your Mac:

• Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
  • Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.
  • Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.
Resetting the printing system is another way of FULLY deleting the existing printer instances (like with USB connection).  I wonder why it did not work?

Anyway, welcome to the Mac community, its friendly here!  Lots of great help everywhere and a computer system that is not a daily frustration and agony.  I just shut down my last PC (went Mac 3+ years ago) and will not look back I am sure.

Oh, another great forum for all things Apple: http://discussions.apple.com/

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation