Question

Honor Student
andredev
Message 1 of 6 (547 Views)

Problem with HP Scan on Mac OS X 10.6 with HP Photosmart B110a.

According to the Help it should be possible to save the scanning of a document in various ways: tiff, jpeg, jpeg2000, png, txt, rtf, html, pdf (text only), pdf images, pdf text over image, pdf image over text.

Problem 1 is that I can only see tiff, jpeg, png, jpeg2000 and pdf images.  All others seem not to be there. What is wrong ?

Problem 2 is that, when saving in pdf, the quality selector (slider below) seems not to have any impact. Regardless the position the file size is always the same, and very high, i.e. 3 MBytes for 1 page of text scanned. What is wrong ?

Version of HP Scan is 2.4.1(10), only upgraded yesterday.

MacOS X10.6.7 on iMac Intel.

Thanks and regards.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (519 Views)

Re: Problem with HP Scan on Mac OS X 10.6 with HP Photosmart B110a.

Have you tried to scan with Image Capture?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
andredev
Message 3 of 6 (516 Views)

Is Image Capture the program automatically triggered from Preview.  If yes, I tried it, but it generates also large files when directly output into pdf.  Also it does not allow multiple pages to be put into 1 pdf file.  Or am I wrong.

What I tried now is to use HP Scan, convert output into jpg with high compression.  Then go to Preview and convert file into pdf.  This gives more or less the same file size as jpg.  Then when everything is converted I can combine everthing into 1 pdf file by means of Preview, but this is a lengthy job, of course.

What do you recommend ?

Regards and thanks.

André.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 6 (513 Views)

Uggh, well, you have discovered the two tradeoffs, then.

Personally, I scan with Image Capture and if multiple pages, just combine them using Preview.  Not ideal.

When you say "All others seem not to be there.", does that mean the options are not there?  Have you clicked the pulldown with the option key depressed? (this is just a guess on my part, I don't have HP Scan loaded)

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
andredev
Message 5 of 6 (505 Views)

Hello,

Yes, that is what I meant: the selection options are simply not there, even when pushing the Option button, in spite of what the Help mentions.

I guess I will have to work with either solution as it is. In the mean time I am evaluating VueScan in parallel.

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

Regards, André.

Honor Student
andredev
Message 6 of 6 (501 Views)

In the mean time I installed the drivers on PC (through VM Ware Fusion).  On PC the variable quality level for pdf works fine, in combination with multiple page documents. OCR for conversion to text is not available either.

Hence the Mac version has 2 problems:

-Variable quality on pdf does not work. This is clearly a bug.

-Help mentions conversion to text as output possibility. This is not available at all.

Kind regards.

André.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation