Question

shm Honor Student
Honor Student
shm
Message 1 of 13 (4,414 Views)

Problem with new printer software on Mac Mountain Lion

Just updated HP printer software v2.9 on MacBook Air with Mountain Lion.  Now getting instant crashes when attempting to print Office  docs on Laserjet 1200 - both Word and Powerpoint; happens whether using  Office, Open Office or Pages.  No problem printing PDFs to Laserjet or when printing anything to Deskjet 6500.  Error message cites difficulty with HPPrintSettings Plugin.  Any ideas?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 13 (4,387 Views)

Re: Problem with new printer software on Mac Mountain Lion

Hi,

Try updating the latest driver (HP Printer Driver Software 2.10) and then check for any change.

If it does not help try resetting the printing system. then add the printer and check for any difference:

*Be aware that resetting the printer system will remove any existing print queue and reset any customized driver settings.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
Select Print & Scan.
Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your product in the Printers list in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system .
Click OK to confirm the reset.
Type your user Name and Password .
Click OK . The printing system resets.

If the issue still persists with no improvement, download and install the HP Printer Drivers 2.10 by following the Download link below and then check for any change:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Please let me know of any further problem,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
alexisargentine
Message 3 of 13 (4,382 Views)

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem since I have installed the new drivers from the AppStore in Mountain Lion and I cannot print at all with my HP P2055.

I have tried all the step indicated in your message but did not work!

This is quite terrible from HP!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shm Honor Student
Honor Student
shm
Message 4 of 13 (4,328 Views)

Shlomi:

The problem only occurred after I updated to 2.10 and re-setting the printer doesn't fix anything.  You can find an ongoing discussion of this on the Apple Support forums as well:  https://discussions.apple.com/message/19223880?ac_cid=op123456#19223880.

Steve

Honor Student
alexisargentine
Message 5 of 13 (4,326 Views)

Dear Steve,

I have tried reinstalling the 2.9 version of the drivers from Time Machine, but unfortunately it did not fix my problem and it still crashes.  Did it work for you?

Best,

Alexis

shm Honor Student
Honor Student
shm
Message 6 of 13 (4,318 Views)

Alexis:

Haven't (yet) tried reverting to 2.9 since that approach has had mixed results reported on the Apple Support discussion of this situation.  The reports of those having the problem is expanding - it's not just the Laserjet and it's not just Word documents so its definitely something in the 2.10 update.  

Steve

Honor Student
MarkByard
Message 7 of 13 (4,031 Views)

Just to add in my 2 cents... and an interesting quirk!!!

iMac:

Attempting to print to either of my HP LaserJet printers FROM MY iMac results in immediate application crashes, regardless of the application.  Also cannot print to PDF via the Apple OS.  I CAN print to my Canon ink jet printer.   Per HP's instruction I've re-downloaded the HP 2.10 update manually from Apple and reapplied.  No success.  I have not bothered to reset the printer queues since others have tried that and it has done nothing.

MacBook Pro: (This is the interesting quirk!)

Printing from my MacBook Pro WORKS FINE to both HP LaserJets.  I can also print to PDF from the Apple print command.  Ironically, it has had the same HP drivers update!

Thank God for small favors!  At least I can print via my MacBook Pro!

Mark Byard

Honor Student
MarkByard
Message 8 of 13 (4,021 Views)

Found workaround on the Apple Forms site... from Upton666

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19223880?ac_cid=op123456#19223880.

Upton666

In Finder  navigate to  Macintosh HD / Library / Printers / hp / PDEs. Right (control) click on 'hpPostScriptPDE.plugin' and 'Show Package Contents'.

Then open the Contents folder and you will find a plugins folder. DELETE IT and your printer will work.

The old 2.09 version did NOT have this folder and plugin.

This WORKED and did not even have to restart iMac.  Not sure why Laptop is working but leaving it alone.

Mark Byard

Honor Student
booyah
Message 9 of 13 (3,958 Views)

[ Edited ]

Actually, deleting the entire hpPostScriptPDE.plugin file in   /Library/Printer/hp/PDEs/   worked for me and hasn't caused any errors.

Does anyone know what this does since it seems like it is not needed?

I'm using a color laserjet 3800, envy 100 and officejet J6400, all which cause the app to crash before deleting this plugin.

Student
xymbolis
Message 10 of 13 (3,353 Views)

I agree with booyah. Navigate to HD/library/Printers/hp/PDEs/ and delete the entire hpPostScriptPDE.plugin file. Worked for me first time.

Thanks booyah

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation