Question

Honor Student
mpk1969
Message 1 of 32 (17,903 Views)
Accepted Solution

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus prints but won't scan

I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and recently purchased an OfficeJet Pro 8600.  It worked well for about a month, then we moved to a new house.  Now it prints but won't scan to computer.  It scans to email fine.  Same issue wired or wireless.  It says Scan to Computer is not enabled.  When I try to enable Scan to Computer using the HP Utility, it spins for a long time then says the connection was lost.

E-1 Top Student
Top Student
E-1
Message 2 of 32 (17,900 Views)

The only way I got the Scan to Computer to work on my 32bit Win 7 system was to plug in the USB cable. The Scan to Computer works just fine on a 64bit Win 7 system on the same network. 

HP said the problem was with the Win software/services and suggested that I reload the operating system.

That was a non-answer in my humble opinion.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 3 of 32 (17,886 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi mpk1969,

Mac OSX:

Try the steps below.  If you would like to learn more about your product, Click Here.

How to Scan: OS X v10.8

1. Go to HP utility for 8600 from(system preferences, open scanner, click utility tab)

2. Under scan settings, click scan to computer

3. Make sure a check mark is next to enable scan to computer

4. Click OK on all dialog boxes and close

5. Attempt scan from front panel

Follow the steps below

1. Open System Preferences

2. Open Print & fax

3. In the open white area under Printers right click, and select Reset Printing System

Note: Resetting the printing system will remove all printers listed in the Print Queue

4. Restart the computer

5. Open Print & Fax, and then Click the + icon to add the printer back to the Print Queue

6. Open HP Utility, and then click on Scan to computer to verify this is enabled

Try scanning to the computer from the printer, and let me know what happens?

Windows:

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 32 (17,885 Views)

Hi E-1,

WIA - Windows Image Acquisition is part of the Windows operating system on your computer. It appears you may have some issues with the operating system on this computer. At this point you may want to call our technical support at 800-474-6836. With your approval they can log into your computer, and check to see if there is anything which may be blocking the communication with this printer. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

E-1 Top Student
Top Student
E-1
Message 5 of 32 (17,872 Views)

I called technical support.  the case was escalated twice.  neither technician could find anything wrong with the configuration of my computer after a couple hours of de-installing and re-installing the HP software.  The last suggestion made by a support manager was to load the 64-bit operating system.  Not an option.

Student
hrsod2
Message 6 of 32 (17,437 Views)

I am experiencing smilar issue. I have Toshiba Satelite L655 with WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. I have tried every recommended solution without success. Reviewing other message boards, it appears many others have the same problem. Please provide solution or a direction to replce my new 8600 for model that works.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 7 of 32 (17,416 Views)

Hi hrsod2,

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Student
tomgeoghan
Message 8 of 32 (17,030 Views)

Listed solution did not work for me.  I deleted the printer (HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium), shut down my computer, then added it again.  When I opened up the HP Utility on my iMac, it gave me the eternal spinning rainbow wheel.  This printer has been a hassle and disappointment since I purchased it.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 9 of 32 (17,000 Views)

Hi tomgeoghan, 

Follow the steps in the document below to install the printer on your Mac computer.

Installing the Printer Software on a Wireless or Wired (Ethernet) Network

I am an HP employee.

Student
Katherine16
Message 10 of 32 (14,911 Views)

I couldn't get my HP 8600 to scan on my MacBook Pro - any ideas

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation