Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have one HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a (CM749A).

On Windows 7, the HP Scan Software has an option to Scan both sides (duplex), when using the Automatic Document Feeder.

But I'm a Mac user and in the HP Scan Software for Mac this option is missing. Why?

It's really useful. I'd like to have this option on Mac. Or it there? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

Duplex (two sided printing) is supported with OS X using HP Scan software for OSX

if you haven't already, download the full HP driver pkg for the HP Officjet 8600 from hp.com - 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-107214-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

When you install, in the first few install screens and the Installable Options screen, make sure to select "HP Recommended Software" - then the HP Scan software will get installed.  

(Note - Minimum install is the default, and this only installs the driver, print utility, and files to  support ICA scanning using Preview/ImageCapture which do not support two sided scanning).

After sw installation, go to Applications / Hewlett Packard folder, and launch HP Scan app.

Open the < to view the detailed dialog box view.  Choose Document as the "Type" and you'll see the option to select 'Scan both sides of pages' at the bottom of the dialog box.  

works for me, hope this helps

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello

Duplex (two sided printing) is supported with OS X using HP Scan software for OSX

if you haven't already, download the full HP driver pkg for the HP Officjet 8600 from hp.com - 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-107214-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

When you install, in the first few install screens and the Installable Options screen, make sure to select "HP Recommended Software" - then the HP Scan software will get installed.  

(Note - Minimum install is the default, and this only installs the driver, print utility, and files to  support ICA scanning using Preview/ImageCapture which do not support two sided scanning).

After sw installation, go to Applications / Hewlett Packard folder, and launch HP Scan app.

Open the < to view the detailed dialog box view.  Choose Document as the "Type" and you'll see the option to select 'Scan both sides of pages' at the bottom of the dialog box.  

works for me, hope this helps

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
you are the best!
thank you very much!
cheers!!!!!!
HP Recommended
and is it possible to copy both sides (duplex) without the computer?
HP Recommended

I have just bought HP officejet Pro 8600 Plus and facing problems with Duplex Scanning. I have already downloaded the HP Scan software as told by you in your earlier thread.

The problem is that although it shows 2 side scan and it also scans and process BUT its not happening both sides. It shows only one side of the ID card .

Can you help

Bharpreet

India

HP Recommended

Hello

is  this not working for you ?

it is important in the "Type" field, to select Document, then at bottom of extended dialog box, to check 'Scan both sides of page'.

this works for me, see attached scrn shot

instructions using HP Scan software:

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

This worked for my n911a!!! So happy! Thank you very much for the easy-to-follow directions! Somewhere in this forum, other HP representatives were saying in a similar thread that duplex scanning is possible only in the 8600 Pro Plus and Pro Premium models, not the standard model which I have (n911a). But you have made my scanning needs easier by posting this solution!! Thank you again!

HP Recommended

Hello - I'm considering buying an HP 8630 (or maybe 8610 or 8620)  - but I'm open to other suggestions, too.  What I really need is "duplex scanning."  I called the HP Help Desk, gave them my "case number" and after 10 minutes of back and forth, I could never get a straight, simple answer from the guy.  He just didn't know.  I gave up, thanked him, and said good-night.

Here's what I want to know:  Can the 8630/20/10 perform ONE-PASS duplex scanning?  That is, you put a two-side source document in the ADF and the printer will scan both sides in one pass.

Or, do you scan the entire document on one side, flip it over, and scan the entire document on the other side, and the software merges the pages together?

This seems like a simple question.

My huge and $$$$ printer at the office does 2:2, 1:2, 2:1 - whatever the heck I want.

All I want to do at home is put in a 2-sided document and scan it to a .pdf in one-pass.  Not rocket-science.

If this series is capable of this, which printers are?

Thanks!

Chuck Gage

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.