Question

Top Student
leicaman
Message 1 of 9 (898 Views)

Scanner of networked HP Laser Jet 3055 not accessible in Snow Leopard

My LaserJet 3055 AIO was initially set up as a network device in an XP Pro environment and worked fine. I recently added an iMac with Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.5 to my wired LAN. From the Mac the 3055 works as a network printer but none of the Mac's imaging applications can see the scanner. in System Preferences the 3055 shows as "Hp Laser Jet 3055 (96487D)".

I recently downloaded HP's "Printer Drivers 2.5.2" software upgrade for Snow Leopard. I don't know 1) whether it is supposed to fix the 3055's scanner problem described above, 2) whether it is applicable to a networked printer, 3) wether it includes the "scan to PDF" function which is very important for me,  4) what to uninstall from the Mac and where to find it, and 5) what to install in order to get a networked 3055 AIO. I also have to be sure that the Mac solution does not adversely impact the PCs that use the 3055 on the network. Using the 3055 as a dedicated device on the Mac is not an option.

I will be grateful for advice.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (890 Views)

Re: Scanner of networked HP Laser Jet 3055 not accessible in Snow Leopard

Did you ever load HP software that was not labeled as compatible with 10.6?  When you added the printer did you use the IP tab or the Default tab in System Preferences > Print & Fax?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
leicaman
Message 3 of 9 (885 Views)

I did not load any HP software that was not labeled as compatible with OS X 10.6.

When I added the 3550 the iMac had already discovered it. I used the Default tab in System Preferences -> Print & Fax and selected "shared".

FYI the 3550 is also used by Windows 7 applications that run in VMware Fusion on the iMac.

I appreciate your help.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 9 (881 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but according to this, only printing is supported with Snow Leopard.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
leicaman
Message 5 of 9 (876 Views)

you wrote "only scanning is supported"; did you mean "only printing"?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 9 (875 Views)

Ooops, yes, I'll edit that.  Long day....

I am employed by HP
Top Student
leicaman
Message 7 of 9 (864 Views)

Thank you for the clarification.

Is there any solution that will let me use the 3055's scanner if I attach it to the iMac as a USB device ?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 9 (851 Views)

I don't think so.

In searching these forums for you, I found that some people have had luck with the third party VueScan software for scanning from their unsupported scanners.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
leicaman
Message 9 of 9 (828 Views)

I appreciate your having checked for possible solutions. I have used VueScan for many years for image scanning on my PCs and now on the iMac. VueScan on the PC sees the 3055; VueScan on the iMac does not see it.

80% of my problem would be solved if I can get the AIO to work in Windows 7 (running in VM Fusion 3.1 in Snow Leopard). HP seems to offer a solution for 32-bit Windows 7 but it isn't clear to me which of two apparently identical software packages, dated 2009 and 2010, one is supposed to download. They seem to rely on tools built into Win 7. In addition one is apparently supposed to download a printer driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation