Question

Tutor
rezoob
Message 1 of 19 (3,088 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scanning Continues to Not Work for Mac OS 10.6 or 10.7 for HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer

Scanning is broken in Mac OS 10.6 or 10.7 for HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer. It appears that only old versions of the Mac OS will scan. I realize that products get "old" but really -- this is poor behavior that HP and Apple cannot support such a basic function on a very popular printer.

The information on supporting scanning is circular at best, and misleading at worst. One bulletin board suggests the purchase of a third-party program to make scanning "work" for the Mac. Terrible.

There should be a patch for this. This is really unacceptable, and tarnishes the reputation of both Hewlett-Packard and Apple.

Master's Graduate
Hubbs
Message 2 of 19 (3,001 Views)

Re: Scanning Continues to Not Work for Mac OS 10.6 or 10.7 for HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer

Hi rezoob,

Please see the following document for scanning methods in 10.6 and 10.7: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01910186&lc=en&cc=us&destPage=document&dlc=en&j...

Also, run Apple Update to make sure that you have the latest drivers for your product (if there are updated drivers, Apple Update will show an HP Driver Bundle in the download list).

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
rezoob
Message 3 of 19 (2,997 Views)

Re: Scanning Continues to Not Work for Mac OS 10.6 or 10.7 for HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer

I tried this and it doesn't work. The printer is not recognized as having "scan" capability by the built-in drivers. This note assumes that "scan" works and points you to using native "Preview" rather than HP Director.

This is part of the confusion of the online documentation - it implies that scanning will work, but it does not.

The definitive list of "devices supported" in Mac OS 10.6 and 10.7 does not include the HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer.

Basically, HP has discontinued support for HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer. If that is the case, it would be helpful to state this clearly. It would be nicer to actually support the device but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Thanks for the reply. If you have the ability to get a clear answer on if this device will be supported and post back, that would be much appreciated.

Tutor
rezoob
Message 4 of 19 (2,996 Views)

Just to clarify, here is an example of what the HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer screen looks like in OS 10.6 or 10.7. The setup screen is missing the "[Scan]" tab.

HP Officejet 6110 All-in-One Printer Scan Option Missing

Master's Graduate
Hubbs
Message 5 of 19 (2,993 Views)

My apologies, I didn't check the site before posting the ICA scanning methods. According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669 (official list of included drivers, with designations on print, scan, and fax drivers), the OJ 6110 has only print drivers in 10.6 and 10.7.

However, what I would suggest trying in this scenario is pointing it to the OJ 6210 driver, which does include scanning drivers.

If you have downloaded the latest driver bundle, then this driver will already be on your system.

Go into Print & Fax/Print & Scan
Highlight the 6110 and click the Option & Supplies button
Click the Driver Tab
Click the Print Using Drop-down
Click Select Printer Software
Find the HP Officejet 6200 Series (you can type HP in the search box to get you to the HP drivers section - it is a long list).
Once you find it in the list, click to select it, then click OK.
Try scanning again to see if it works.

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
rezoob
Message 6 of 19 (2,977 Views)

This does not work, either. Tried on both OS 10.6.8 and 10.7.3. Also removed driver entirely and re-added from scratch with the 6200 driver. See below for screenshot. As you can see, the printer is registered as "OfficeJet 6100" with the "OfficeJet 6200 series" driver. Still, the [SCAN] tab does not appear.

HP 6100 Series with 6200 Driver

Honor Student
jrmckins
Message 7 of 19 (2,949 Views)

rezoob, have you gotten this to work?? I have the exact same problem.
Tutor
rezoob
Message 8 of 19 (2,943 Views)

No, none of the fixes work. Appears that as originally reported HP will not support Officejet 6110 printer on Mac computers. Too bad, as it's a good printer and very popular.

If anyone from HP can propose a working (and tested!) solution that would be appreciated.
Honor Student
jrmckins
Message 9 of 19 (2,934 Views)

I'm on the phone with Apple support right now.  He's checking.  HP says it's supported, apple says it isn't.  I hate to toss a perfectly fine printer because of this.  

Tutor
rezoob
Message 10 of 19 (2,921 Views)

If you figure it out please let us know. Thanks.

This issue has been on numerous groups, bulletin boards, etc for over a year without a solution so if we can get HP or Apple to really solve it and not just regurgitate "try this" instructions that don't work that would be awesome...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation