Question

Honor Student
steckface
Message 1 of 10 (4,713 Views)

Scanning Officejet 4620

My officejet wont scan to my mac.. It is connected via USB and the HP utility tool is installed.  I am getting an error message that says the connection to the computer has been lost.  Please help! Thanks

Master's Graduate
Vanricker
Message 2 of 10 (4,707 Views)

Re: Scanning Officejet 4620

Hello

Could you provide a little more info please ?

Did you install all the software from the HP CD ?

Are you trying to scan using HP Scan application?

Thank you

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
Honor Student
steckface
Message 3 of 10 (4,705 Views)

I installed the software with the CD and downloaded the update online.  I am trying to scan multiple pages from the upper tray of the printer directly to my Mac.

Grad Student
FretnBoutNutn
Message 4 of 10 (4,688 Views)

Based on the error message you described, it sounds as if you may be starting the scan from the front panel of the device - am I correct?  It may be worth having you try a few other options for completing the scan. 

First, it's important that you have obtained and installed the latest software for your Officejet from support.hp.com.  When installing, make sure that you select the "HP Recommended" install option as this software is required for scanning from the device front panel.

• Try starting the scan with HP Scan (Applications/Hewlett-Packard folder). 
  • Try starting the scan with Image Capture (Applications folder)

If these options work for you but you still want to get the scan from the device front panel working please respond back and we can try to assist further. 

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Honor Student
steckface
Message 5 of 10 (4,676 Views)

It works from the software, but still not from the deivice
Grad Student
FretnBoutNutn
Message 6 of 10 (4,658 Views)

Sorry you're still having problems.  More information may help us to help you better.  Can you please provide some more information such as:

• OS version?
  • How is your printer connected (USB, Ethernet, Wireless)?
  • Have you checked the status in HP Utility?  In HP Utility go to Scanner Settings>Scan to Computer.  You should see status there on whether this feature is enabled and working properly.
  • Is the failure that your computer name is not appearing on the front panel when you press the scan button, or does a failure occur (with an error message) after you have started the scan?
FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

Student
goingcrazy88
Message 7 of 10 (4,545 Views)

I can not scan from my office jet to my Mac. I have downloaded the latest software. I have tried scanning from the front of the scannner and from image capture. Under Applications there is no HP folder. When I use image capture it says there is no scanner connected. I am using wireless connect. When I use the front of the scanner it reverts to USB, PC. Now what?

I have multiple pages to scan for a client and need help. Please and Thank you.

Grad Student
FretnBoutNutn
Message 8 of 10 (4,539 Views)

What version of the MacOS are you running?  I ask this because Image Capture behaves differently on 10.8 than it does on previous versions.  I assume that you are using at least 10.6 as HP only supports Image Capture scanning for versions 10.6 and later.

>> Under Applications there is no HP folder.

Just to clarify, the name of the folder should be "Hewlett-Packard" rather then "HP".  This folder should be present if you selected the "HP Recommended" option during the software install.  If you did not select "HP Recommended" then only the basic scan driver would have been installed (and no Hewlett-Packard folder), and you shouldn't expect scanning from the front of the device to be available.

If you did choose "HP Recommended" install and still don't see a Hewlett-Packard folder in Applications, then I suggest that you open Disk Utility and Verify/Repair disk permissions for your boot volume and then try installing again.

>> I am using wireless connect.

If you are running 10.8, then Image Capture should find all scanning devices on your local network - even if software drivers have not been installed for the device.  When you select a device without installed software, Image Capture will offer to download/install the software for you.  For earlier versions, Image Capture will only locate devices where the software is already installed for that device.

During install, did you follow the steps provided to create a printer queue?  This may seem like a strange question when you are trying to scan, but Apple's design associates scanning functions to All-in-One devices through the printer queue setup.  It's critical when setting up a printer queue for a networked All-in-One that you select the device from the "Default" tab of the "Add Printer" window.  If you set up the queue using an IP address then you will not have any scan support (even if printing works for you).  Scanning is only supported for networked devices that are connected via Bonjour.

If none of the comments above help, then I suggest you search this forum for instructions on how to reset the printing system.  These steps will clear out any printer queues that you have previously created and allow you to start fresh. 

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

Student
Sami_K1911
Message 9 of 10 (2,622 Views)

I have a mac running ios 10.6.8 and I also have an HP officejet 4620. My printer was working fine, prinitng (fine), faxing (fine), scanning (fine). Today I went to scan and I keep getting the message "computer is not found blah blah blah". Now I scanned a few items only last week and it worked fine. Printer was only used to make some copies since. And today it won't scan from the printer. I was able to open up HP Scan on my laptop and get it to scan from there but I don't like having to do that. I want to be able to scan from the printer itself. Any help/advice is welcome. I've had the printer for almost a year, it's basically brandnew still and idk what's going on with it. Thanks 

Grad Student
FretnBoutNutn
Message 10 of 10 (2,606 Views)

Given that scanning was working and it doesn't sound like you've really changed/updated any software, then it may be that there is a synchronization issue.  This may occasionally occur if either the Mac or the printer is temporarily disconnected, goes to sleep, etc. and the other side doesn't detect the event.

You may want to try powering down both the Mac and the printer.  Then power on the printer followed a few minutes later by the Mac.  This should allow the Mac to see the printer and re-register for scan-to-computer functionality.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, then I would recommend that you obtain and install the latest 10.6.8-compatible software for your 4620 from www.hp.com/support.

Hope this helps,

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation