Question

Student
sarahlaughed
Message 1 of 17 (9,995 Views)
Accepted Solution

Software unavailable for in Mac OS Lion

I'm trying to add my OfficePro 8500 A909g to my printer list in Mac OS Lion (10.7.3). I get the error message:

"The software for this printer is currently unavailable. Please contact the printer’s manufacturer for the latest software."

Where can I get the software?

Many thanks!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 17 (9,992 Views)

Re: Software unavailable for in Mac OS Lion

Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Provost
ShlomiL
Message 3 of 17 (9,979 Views)

Hi sarahlaughed,

In order to install the printer on Lion, the drivers should be retrieved from the Apple Software Update servers, therefore you will not find them available at the HP site.

As you mentioned the Software Update fails, you may follow any of the methods below to bypass this error:

First option: Temporary connect the printer with USB.

Try adding the printr using the plus icon under Print & Scan.

If the same error still appears, click the Apple icon and then click Softwre Update.

Select the HP Printer Drivers 2.9 from the list and click install. I believe the update will complete by following those steps. now add the printer using the plus sign.

The second option is downloading the full HP Printer Drivers package, which also provide the drivers for your printer.

Download and install the package below:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL907/en_US/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.dmg

After completing the installation, you should be able to add the printer by clicking the plus sign under Print & Scan.

Please let me know of any problem,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Student
seurite
Message 4 of 17 (9,814 Views)

Having similar issues.  Seems it must have been a Lion update.  

I was having issues scanning with my Officejet 6310 so I removed the printer and tried adding but can't add back.

It says it can't get the software from Apple.  Downloading and isntalling the driver package and installing it still tries to go out to Apple and download software with the same result.  Did a printer reset also with no luck.

Need help to get this printer back.  Oddly enough I can scan from it via Image Capture.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 9.48.24 PM.png

Honor Student
blackHat777
Message 5 of 17 (9,566 Views)

i'm having the same problem with a LaserJet 1200 (monochrome).  Apple Software Update is useless ("The software for this printer is currently unavailable..."), and there doesn't seem to be any way to download the current drivers directly, even though the 'Print Using:' menu allows for manually adding a driver.

Seriously, HP, this is profoundly frustrating, and completely unnecessary.

What's more, *i already had* a LaserJet 1200 driver installed in lion, which worked just fine.  However, when i had to replace the board (USB connector broke), i plugged the printer in again, and it wanted me to install the driver again, but this time, i'm getting the same "...software for this printer is currently unavailable" message.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 17 (9,564 Views)

Download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
jspence33
Message 7 of 17 (9,264 Views)

I'm having the same problems as everyone else.  I've downloaded the print drivers for the OfficeJet 7410xi from Apple, but for some reason I can't link them to the process for adding the printer through System Preferences.  I'm running OS X 7.4.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 17 (9,246 Views)

Did you follow the steps in post #6?  What happened?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
blackHat777
Message 9 of 17 (9,140 Views)

Thank you, that seems to have solved it.  Would you be able to explain why Apple Software Update couldn't download the individual driver?  Does the Laserjet 1200 require older drivers?  Will having installed the drivers you told me to, affect my ability to add other, more current HP devices?

Thanks again.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 17 (9,139 Views)

I am not sure why the inividual downloads sometimes fail.  Perhaps the Mac thinks it already has it (but it is old) and the huge HP download over-writes it all.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation