Trouble scanning with new HP F4480 (23062 Views)
Student
PBBC
Message 1 of 28 (23,062 Views)

Trouble scanning with new HP F4480

I just bought a new IMac and it came with the HP F4480 printer/scanner. It prints ok but when I try to scan a document, I get "sorry, an unknown error occured" message. What is the problem? Thanks everyone.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 28 (23,060 Views)

Re: Trouble scanning with new HP F4480

Delete and re-add the printer in the print queue:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Select the printer in question and click the minus sign at the bottom of the list
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer with Bonjour next to it, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If this does not work, do the same thing, only instead of the second step, right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.

If this does not work, try a new USB cable. 

I am employed by HP
Student
Varonika22
Message 3 of 28 (22,140 Views)

Hi tried everything you just mentioned and nothing worked for me!! Help please. It still says "an unknown error occured" when I try to scan. Printing documents is working fine.

thanks!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 28 (22,135 Views)

What version of OS X are you using?  From where did you get the HP software?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Stykera
Message 5 of 28 (22,012 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem, I've got a new MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6. Photocopy and printing functions work fine, I just can't scan. Software and drivers were downloaded from the installation cd that came with the printer. Tried what you said, including swapping the USB cable, with no results. Checked the HP update utility and apparently there are no updates to the software, so that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 28 (21,993 Views)

Aha,

The software on the CD is for 10.5 and earlier only (there should have been a note to that effect if it is new).  Uninstall the software with the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Student
pumpkin123
Message 7 of 28 (21,959 Views)

I had the same problem.. and have uninstalled the CD software that came with the F4480, and installed the software for Mac 10.6 from the HP site. It prints fine and photocopies fine. The 'unknown error' msg seemed to have gone, BUT only because now my Macbook Pro can't detect the scanner device! I've seemed to have tried everything! Help! How do you fix this?!?!

PrintDoc wrote:

Aha,

The software on the CD is for 10.5 and earlier only (there should have been a note to that effect if it is new).  Uninstall the software with the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 28 (21,922 Views)

Did you uninstall using the 'scrubber' key shortcuts as described above?  If not, it may not have uninstalled everything from the CD software.

First, though try to reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Student
cbradie
Message 9 of 28 (21,744 Views)

Dear HP-  

For my problem specifically: I can print and copy and I can even scan using the software.  However, the BUTTON on the scanner does not activate the process and it results in 1) a flashing power button and 2) an orange indicator light on the front.  

This problem exists on an iMac running 10.5.8 with the latest drivers which have been installed and updated.  Given the fact that I can communicate via USB with the printer and that I can scan using the commands within the software lead me to believe that there is something wrong specifically with the unit itself.  

Please advise as to recommended next steps.

Thank you!

Student
ksloper
Message 10 of 28 (21,586 Views)

I'm having the same exact problem with my new Mac Book Pro and the HP Deskjet F4400. I just spend an hour trying to troubleshoot the problem and doing all the suggested solutions mentioned with no luck at all. SO frustrating, I'm just about ready to give up on the scanner and go buy a new one. Such a disappointment. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation