Unable to Delete Older Printing Presets -- Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless Printer with OSX v10.6.4 (1423 Views)
Top Student
J_G_L
Message 1 of 32 (1,423 Views)

Unable to Delete Older Printing Presets -- Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless Printer with OSX v10.6.4

I find that, after upgrading to the latest Officejet Pro 8000 A809 (989005) printer driver, I am not able to delete Presets that were created with earlier versions of the Apple/HP supplied printer driver.  I am using OSX v10.6.4 and v2.0.3 of the HP Printer Driver.

When I try to print from an application the Presets that had been previously created appear on the menu, but 'Delete" is not available as an option for any of those older Presets.

If I create a new Preset, it appears in a section of the menu listing below the Presets created by earlier versions, and the Delete option is available to remove any Presets made with v2.0.3 of the driver.

I would like to delete the earlier Presets, since are no longer necessary given the changes that have been introduced in the latest versions of the HP printer driver.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 32 (1,414 Views)

Re: Unable to Delete Older Printing Presets -- Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless Printer with OSX v10.6.4

If you have HP software for pre-10.6 Snow Leopard, you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option.  Also, you do not need the hp software at all - both print and scan drivers are built into the OS.  I'd recommend uninstalling, but make sure to do it this way:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, remove and re-install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax.

You do not need the software now since Snow Leopard has both print & scan drivers built-in. Scan from Preview or Image Capture apps. Scanning from the front panel of the printer does not yet work.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
J_G_L
Message 3 of 32 (1,411 Views)

Re: Unable to Delete Older Printing Presets -- Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless Printer with OSX v10.6.4

Distinguished Professor:

I very much appreciate your response to my posting.

I followed you suggestions, and while they successfully eliminated all the other apparent H-P software on my computer, after all was said and done, the offending Presets remain listed as options, but even when selected, the Delete function is not available.  Please see the image that I have inserted here.1282i24301E9922A6F7DF

It seems that the Presets are contained within some file that is unaffected by 'scrubber' option.

I do, however, very much appreciate the time you have taken to help me resolve the problem.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 32 (1,409 Views)

Here are a couple of ideas:

A. Reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If that does not work:

B. This will delete the Presets but make sure you have a backup of your Mac before you begin:

1. Open a Finder window and navigate to: Macintosh HD > User > [your user name] > Library > Preferences folder

2. Move the file: "com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.Officejet_8000.plist" and any other similar printer files in that folder to the Desktop (for safe keeping in case you need to put them back afterward).

3. Restart your Mac and try to print something.

4. If it is to your liking, delete the .plist files from the Desktop and be happy!

I am employed by HP
Top Student
J_G_L
Message 5 of 32 (1,399 Views)

Dear Distinguished Professor:

I have tried deleting all the printers under Sys Prefs>Print and Fax.  After having done so, and then reestablishing the printer, the same un-deletable Presets remain present.

In your option B, I have looked in both the User>User Name>Library>Preferences and in the Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences, and there is no apparent plist file that has anything to do with "Officejet_8000"  or anything to do with "custompresets.forprinter" that is listed in either location, so there is nothing to move or delete.  Is there another possible location for such a preferences file, or is it possible that this file has somehow become invisible?

For your additional information, I have two computers here, an iMac and a PowerBook Pro, both of which have the exact same issue, in printing to this printer, which is accessible on my WiFi network to both.

While you are pondering this, I will see if I can remember a way to make invisible files visible, since that seems to be a possible cause of this situation.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 32 (1,396 Views)

OK, deleting and re-adding the printer won't do the trick.  You will have to Reset the Printing System as described above.

Did you look for "com.apple.print.custompresets..." in the User Library under the Preferences folder?  I can't imagine why they would not be there.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
J_G_L
Message 7 of 32 (1,389 Views)

Yes I did, and no such file exists.

Within the limits of the screen you can see in this image what is there (sort order is ascending file name).

1283iB216C569D22EFCB6

I have not been able to find, in this Preferences directory, any file that, from its name, is likely to contain the old Presets.

Incidentally, IF I CREATE A NEW PRESET IN THE v2.0.3 printer driver, then a file called "com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.Officejet_Pro_8000_A809__989005_.plist"

is created, but it only includes data from the 'new' preset' and has no apparent affect upon the old ones that i am trying to delete, since the old Presets are still present if I delete that file and then try to print and look at the options.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 32 (1,384 Views)

OK, do the operation on the com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist.   Just drag it to the Desktop for safe keeping....

I am employed by HP
Top Student
J_G_L
Message 9 of 32 (1,371 Views)

I have removed that file, but, unfortunately, there was no change in the listing of un-deletable Presets in the Printer dialog.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 32 (1,366 Views)

OK, is there a similar file in the system Library (Macintosh HD > Library)?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation