Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I print a document, a cover sheet prints first. It lists the filename, directory, template, title, subject, author, and more. This sheet prints with every document printed. When I wants to print more than one page, it prints before each page. How do I turn this off? It started suddenly.

I have a HP photosmart 5520 printer

wireless connection

Macbook Air with OS 10.9.5

Thanks,

Kaki

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Kakikaki , and welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're running into print issues.  I would like to help!

I would suggest deleting the printer from your print system, using this document: Uninstalling the Printer Software.

Once you have deleted it, I would suggest verifying and repairing the disk permissions: About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature.

I would also suggest running your Apple updates:  OS X: Updating OS X and Mac App Store apps

After the updates, I would recommend reinstalling the HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Thanks for you response but so far I am not having any luck!

I have Photosmart 5520 and MacAir OS X v10.9 both of which have the latest updates.

As you recommended, under “System Preferences”, I highlighted the 5520 printer, clicked on “-“ and then deleted the printer. There was no message “reset printing system”. I did uninstall it by going under “Macintosh HD”, clicked on “Hewlitt Packard”, typed in my password under administrator, and dragged it into the trash and then emptied the trash. I went to the HP website and reinstalled the driver and software.

I was not able to reset the printer as when I went under the Apple, then Preferences, and nothing shows when I right clicked on the printer. Do I need to reset the printer if I already uninstalled the printer, emptied the trash, and then reinstalled the printer?

I then tried to print one page and as after it printed that, as usual, it printed the dreaded “Filename, etc. page”. I have had many printers and never have I any problems like this! I have to print the pages I want one by one and after each printed page, I have to delete the print job and then print page 2, etc., and go through it all again until my document is printed! HELP!

I also do not want the “collated” checked and have to continually uncheck it. I do not want my pages printed to both sides but this is a minor problem compared to all the waste and time that this extra page has caused.

Thanks in advance...

HP Recommended

Hi Kaki, and thanks for getting back to me!

I would recommend using these steps to reset the print system:

OS X Mavericks: Reset the printing system

I would then suggest downloading the HP Printer Drivers v3.0 for OS X.

Once the software is downloaded, add the printer via AirPrint:

Printing Over a Wireless Network with Apple's AirPrint

Please keep me posted!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks Jamieson. I tried your suggestions but it doesn't work BUT I was able to print with an iPad and I did not have the problem with the unwanted page printing after I printed. When I print with my MacAir, I click on print in the pulldown menu. There is no indication of "Airprint". I am printing wirelessly.

Kaki

HP Recommended

Hi Kaki,

I would recommend the video below to add the AirPrint option:

Please let me know!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I watched the video and it was exactly what I had been doing.

I tried it with 2 MacAir computers side-by-side. The other one worked and did not print the unwanted page but mine printed it! There was no difference in the windows that opened in either Mac nor in what I clicked on. I did the same thing in both Macs.

Thanks,

Kaki

HP Recommended

Hi Kaki, I hope you had a great weekend!

What program are you printing from? 

Does this issue happen from multiple programs, such as Text Edit?

I would recommend deleting the printer, and verifying and repairing the disk permissions: About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'd suggest a new user account:

Create a new user account

Please keep me posted!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.