Question

Honor Student
Farmanova
Message 1 of 77 (17,947 Views)
Accepted Solution

Update software HP for MAC OS X Lion?

Does HP update their software to make it compatible for MAC newest operating system Lion?

Yvonne

Student
MalcolmWest
Message 2 of 77 (17,894 Views)

Re: Update software HP for MAC OS X Lion?

I have a HP J4680 and have just upgraded to Lion. Although I have been able to print and scan it is very slow and keeps losing the wireless connection. The printer software tells me I am not connected some times and yet it is still printing. Clearly there is an issue and hopefully there will be an update produced by HP very soon. These guys would have had the opportunity to tst it but its left to us pioneers trying out new software to be the real guinea pigs.

Student
MacUserOKC
Message 3 of 77 (17,653 Views)

We updated our 2 Macs to Lion. Now our printer HP Officejet Pro L7680 is not working correctly. Won't print evevolopes correctly.  Will not print 2 sided in 8.5 X14 inch paper (legal). The 2nd side is cut to 8.5 x 11. 

Can't undo Lion on the computer. Can't afford new printer. Any ideas of solutions. 

Top Student
navigator72
Message 4 of 77 (17,368 Views)

Similar problems on OJPro L7650 all in one

This support site says use the Apple Software Update to get the Lion upgrade. But several attempts today result in message from Apple that the software is not available, try back later. Haven't tried Apple support yet, but suspect we have to wait until HP and / or Apple complete the update for Lion compatibility.

Top Student
navigator72
Message 5 of 77 (17,367 Views)

Just checked Apple site. There's an Aug 3 posting for new HP printer / scanner drivers that support Lion. Maybe this will help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907 

Honor Student
hedgert
Message 6 of 77 (16,851 Views)

HP printers just don't work on Mac OSX. I had Snow Leopard, bought a brand new printer (4500) installed the software on the CD, and while I could printer, I had all sorts of problems getting the scanner to be found by the HP utility on the Mac. If the router was ever restarted then the HP software couldn't connect, so I was forever uninstalling and reinstalling the HP printer software. The Apple supplied HP updates didn't fix the problem when this happened. And now with Lion I can't get scanning working at all. I can print, but not through the HP software - that never finds the printer - I have to type in the IP address and then I can set up the printer through Mac's add printer, but the HP utilities simply can't find an HP printer! Why is it so hard HP?
Grad Student
Essika
Message 7 of 77 (16,846 Views)

[ Edited ]

Apple dropped Lion on the heads of many companies without advanced warning. I know that HP is working quickly to get as many drivers out as possible as quickly as possible.

The older your product the longer you may have to wait.  However we do have some work arounds in place and there are some products with full feature software already.

Full feature software (10.7- Lion) is available for B210a, Deskjet 1000 J110a, DJ 3000 J310a, DJ 3050 J610a and the DJ 3050a J611a

If you do not have one of these products, either go to your LCD on the printer and run the wireless setup wizard or plug in a USB to the computer or plug in the ethernet cable to your router. When you have that done complete the following steps.

Click your Apple menu

Click system preferences

Click Print and Scan

In Print and Scan, click the +

Select the printer from the list and click Add

That will add the print AND scan driver

To scan:

In Print and Scan, click the printer once to highlight it.

Click the scan option in the middle of the window

click open scanner

Click the start scan

Also if you have Snow Leopard (10.6) and want to install Lion (10.7) PLEASE do not uninstall the HP software before or after the upgrade as the printer will still work with the old software and you will not be able to reinstall the old software if you do uninstall!

Hope this helps.

Trained on Mac and Windows for inkjet printers.
**Although I work for HP, I do not represent them in these forums**
If I've resolved your issue please mark as Accepted Solution so others can use my advice! ^.^
Honor Student
hedgert
Message 8 of 77 (16,765 Views)

Essika, I very much appreciate your response (and a quick response at that).  I wasn't specifically talking about Lion - I accept your point about fast release of Lion.  My main point was that HP printers on Macs have been problematic for some time - I the problems I described in my post were with the long released Snow Leopard version of Mac OSX.

I tried your suggest and sure enough when the printer is connected to my Mac using a USB cable it does indeed install drivers properly and work for both printing and scanning - but having installed the drivers if I go back to network access it still doesn't work - and this after all a network printer - and I guess it is network printers (especially for use as scanners) where HP seems to consistently have a problem.  I've had 2 HP all-in-ones in a row and both had the same issue.  Work to do for HP to support Mac properly.

Intern
LaszloG
Message 9 of 77 (16,639 Views)

Sorry,  but that's not true. It wasn't as if Applpe walked in one  day and said "here's a new OS" - Apple released several versions of Lion in beta form.  As a developer, I saw all of them. They were full- featured. If HP chose not to notice, or act on it that's HP's problem - not Apple.

Thiss is squarely HP's FAiL, don't blame Apple on this one.

Laszlo

Intern
mikegunill
Message 10 of 77 (16,553 Views)

I upgraded recently without problems, running latest Apple software with a C4780 + wifi + Time Capsule from a MacBook Pro.  Everything working fine until I decided to password protect my wifi signal to stop it being open to the world.

At this point the C4780 is longer " seen " by the computer. I tried to delete and add again the printer without success. Nothing to add! All works fine via a USB.

I am not sure what else to do, I would be very grateful for some help.

Thanks

Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation