Question

Honor Student
thehummer
Message 1 of 5 (758 Views)

Use my old laserjet 5mp with a imac running os x 10.6.8?

Is there any way I can use my old LaserJet 5M with my iMac running OS X 6.8? How can I connect the two?

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 5 (733 Views)

Re: Use my old laserjet 5mp with a imac running os x 10.6.8?

Good question! Actually if I remember right I think the driver for this printer is built into OS 10.6. Have you tried just connecting the printer via USB and seeing what happens? I think OS X should automatically recongize the device. Here is a support document I found on the issue:

HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet and LaserJet MFP Products - Mac OS X 10.6: HP LaserJet print drivers

Here is a good snippit from the document:

If updating a Mac using the Snow Leopard DVD, the install process should automatically detect your previous HP printer queue, delete, and then create a new HP printer queue using the latest HP printer drivers included in Snow Leopard.
USB printers:
  1. Make sure printer is turned On and connected.
  2. Open a document to print, and then choose File , Print .
  3. Open the Printer pop-up and choose your printer.
  4. If you don’t see your printer, choose Add Printer , and then select More Printers button.
  5. In the Name column, select the printer, then click Add .

Let me know if this helps at all or if you need me to go farther in depth to get it resolved. Thanks!

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Honor Student
thehummer
Message 3 of 5 (729 Views)

Thanks for the answer, Sean. That helps somewhat, but I still don't know how I can connect the computer to the printer. Currently, the printer is connected by a 6-pin connector via a phone-line connection. There are also (empty) 2 unused multi-pin connections. I don't see any USB port. What sort of connecting device do I need? Thanks for your help.

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 4 of 5 (725 Views)

D'olp! I must not have had my coffee when I responded to you! It does look like this printer is supported in 10.6, just might be a little tricky to get setup. I did find a document that should help you get it running which I will link in below. First, you are going to need to get a parallel to USB adapter. These can be found online relatively cheaply.

Here is the search I found them on:  Google Search -- Parallel to USB Adapter

Here is the document that walks you through getting the Printer running after you pick up one of those adapters: HP LaserJet Printing Software and Utility

Please keep me posted and let me know if you get it working. I want to make sure we get it resolved! :robotvery-happy:

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Student
5mpFan
Message 5 of 5 (554 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same issues here. I bought the 16898 parallel to usb cable and it works great directly to iMac or Macbook with 10.6.8. But when I try to access it on the network (iMac connected to printer, shared on network) I have to disconnect/reconnect the usb each time I need to print from either the iMac or the laptop. In other words, I can print continuously from either one, but when the other device needs to print it doesn't know how to change sources - there's no automatic switching available. The usb cable must be disconnected/reconnected whenever I need to print from another device. Any thoughts on a workaround? I tried downloading the HP utility for 5mp but it doesn't seem to work beyond a classic environment.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation