Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

Good morning, 

I got my printer (Deskjet 3510) some time ago and set it up no problems for wireless printing. Yesterday, all of a sudden, it stopped connecting to the network. I reset the wireless settings and ran the CD to re-connect. Now, when I get to the wireless set up page it says "WiFi Filter Error - Device MAC Hardware Address has been filtered out and not available from <SSID>...."

I have checked my AT&T 2-Wire router settings (U-Verse) and MAC address filtering is not not enabled. I ran a scan and it picked up a bunch of MAC address and put them in the "Allowed" box. The MAC address for the printer is in there. I have tried enabling MAC address filtering and it still won't connect. So right now I have the printer working via USB, MAC Address filtering switched off on the router, but I still get the error. I have not changed the postion of the printer or the router since it was working. Not aware of any software upgrades being applied. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Mac address filtering error is one that is given for a multitude of errors, it is not very helpful in that way.

On the front of the printer, touch the Wireless button and navigate to Restore Wireless Defaults.  Restart your router by pulling its power plug momentarily, then try again

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

The Mac address filtering error is one that is given for a multitude of errors, it is not very helpful in that way.

On the front of the printer, touch the Wireless button and navigate to Restore Wireless Defaults.  Restart your router by pulling its power plug momentarily, then try again

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Well, that seemed to work. Thanks. It is now connected to the wireless network, but it kept putting up a screen saying there are duplicate <SSID> networks. Yet when it does the scan, it shows only the one. I quit the set up (it did warn me not to....but I was stuck in a loop at that point), I have powered it down and turned it back on and it appears to be connecting. 

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Used the Restore Defaults and both soft/hard reset my router.  No help.  Printer MAC Address is entered into access list on router so it should provide a DHCP service, even though I would rather manually set my IP.  It just won't connect to the wireless network and blames it on the router when the router has MAC filtering turned off (so that isn't the issue) and even with it off the address has been added to allowed devices.  I'm starting to hate this printer.

HP Recommended

Remove the MAC address from the router's access list.  Make sure the router's settings are pretty vanilla - broadcast SSID, WPA or WPA2 encryption, no MAC filtering, DHCP enabled....

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I tried the fix of restore original setup and unplugging the power from the router but the problem is the same.  The test results under Settings-No Filtering-Fail then under Current Config it has hardware address (MAC) and then gives the IP address.  

It says another fix would be to add the MAC address to the list of permitted devices but it doesn't tell me how to do that.

Have an older Dell desktop and a new Toshiba laptop.  Do you have any other suggestions?  

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue with my new HP 8620. My printer will not connect to my xfinity wireless gateway/network and the HP Wireless Network Test Results show that "No Filtering - FAIL".   I have tried:

1. adding the mac address into the router while mac filtering is set to "allow all" - no luck, and

2. setting mac filtering to "deny" and removing the printer mac address

Neither option has worked.

I have also attempted to set a manual ip address through the lcd on the printer.  For some reason, those setting are never saved.  As soon as I move off of the manual settings screen the information is removed.

All other settings on the Wireless Network Test Results "Pass".

If you come up with a solution, I would really appreciate it if you could post it.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Check what network band you have your router set to i.e. Wireless N, G, etc.. If it is set to n only change it to g compatiable. That may be your issue. The printer you have may no support N and that may be the cause for the error. It was for me.

HP Recommended

My printer is reconizing the name of the network...if there was a g/b/n problem, wouldn't the printer NOT SEE the network it is not compatible with?

Anyway, I am having the same NO FILTERING - FAIL problem with my Envy 7640 after switching from an ASUS to a Motorola / Arris router.  

None of the "solutions" I have found on teh web so far, has fixed the problem (power cycling, checking MAC filtering, checking wireless security, checking signal strength, etc).

--

Bill

HP Recommended

OK....found another post with a suggestion that worked for me.

I had my wireless security set to "AES" only (as it's considered far superior to "TKIP").

When I changed the setting to "AES plus TKIP", the printer connected and all seems well.

--

Bill

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.