Question

Top Student
Andy17
Message 1 of 7 (2,271 Views)

Wireless printing doesn't work on HP Photosmart 6510 on OS X 10.8

Hello,

As always, there are problems with my HP device. I have tried many things to make my HP Photosmart 6510 printer work on my Macbook Pro, but nothing seems to work. Initially, I was running OS X 10.7 Lion, which didn't work, but I have later updated to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, which also doesn't work. I have also updated to the latest driver through Software Update. A month or two ago, there was an upgrade, which I completed successfully.

I can find and install the printer just fine. However, I cannot print to it or connect to it in general. For instance, I cannot see the ink levels or any information through the utility. The printer is connected to the same wireless network and I can print with ePrint just fine. Also, printing on a Windows machine also works fine. My Mac just doesn't want to connect to the printer. I am 100% sure it is a driver related problem. The thing is that I can make it work sometimes, but as far as I can tell only if I remove and add the printer. Then it will work for some minutes, but if I try 10 minutes or so after adding the printer, then it won't be able to connect again. It's quite unpredictable.

Many of the guides I have found on the Internet tell me to open up the Applications folder and then find a folder with HP tools (I don't recall what it's called). The problem is that no such folder exists and there are no tools available in the Applications folder, and Spotlight (search) also cannot find them. Additionally, the uninstall tool that the guides say exist, does not exist on my system, so I cannot even try to do a reinstallation of the driver software.

I installed the driver from the CD that came with my printer and then I have since updated it through Software Update (but it didn't work in the beginning either). It never worked.

Product: HP Photosmart 6510 e-All-in-One printer - B211a

Operating system: OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (doesn't work with OS X 10.7 Lion either)

What on Earth can I do?

Best regards,

Andy

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 7 (2,259 Views)

Re: Wireless printing doesn't work on HP Photosmart 6510 on OS X 10.8

Hi Andy,

First, the driver shipped with your printer may compatible with Lion, surely not with Mountain Lion, although the drivers via Software Update should provide you the basic functionality regardless the incompatible HP applications.

I would suspect such a problem to be related with the network connectivity rather than any  software issue, unlike a PC Mac OS uses Bonjour to communicate with your device. Bonjour relies on different network protocols as Multikast (mDNS).

Not any router supports Multicasting, not always have multicast enabled by the router's factory defautls and those may cause such a problem.

Knowing your router brand and model may help providing you any further steps to try

For the HP Software, be sure to install the software for Mountain Lion, during the installation make sure to select HP Recommended Software:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-107204-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
Andy17
Message 3 of 7 (2,253 Views)

Hello ShlomiL,

Thank you for your reply.

The driver that shipped with the printer supports Lion, but it still did not work on Lion.

If there is a problem with my router, then I find it strange that the printer works sometimes. At least that would indicate that multicasting is not the issue; if it were not supported or enabled, then I would never be able to connect to the printer.

Strangely enough, just earlier I could discover and add my printer in System Preferences/Print & Scan. Now, I cannot discover the printer there or anywhere else (e.g. in the HP Setup Assistant). I did not restart my router, but I did restart the printer. The printer is connected to the wireless network. Just now I reconfigured the printer to connect to the router (I reselected the router and entered the password), and after disabling and enabling the WIFI on my Macbook, I could find it again. Then I wanted to test it again so I restarted the printer and put my Macbook to sleep. Now the connection was gone - even after reenabling WIFI several times. It just seems so random!

The printer is connected to the router just fine. My Macbook is connected to the router just fine. But my Macbook can only randomly connect to the printer - most of the time it cannot. I installed the software you linked me to, but I still cannot connect to the printer or even discover it to add it.

I am using a ZyXeL P-2601HN-F1 router.

I really don't know what to do.

Best regards,

Andy

Honor Student
peanuts64
Message 4 of 7 (2,248 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with HP photosmart 7510 that a got out of the box today! HP told me I need a router booster but there is nothing in my router settings that says multicast (mDNS).

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 5 of 7 (2,241 Views)

Hi Andy,

As I mentioned in my previous post, I doubt this issue have much to do with the software but more with the network connectivity, I only included the software information to cover any possible problem.. as now you work with Mountain Lion which the used software is not compatible.

Multicast is a kind of improved connectivity comparing a standard TCP/IP connection, when the router does not support it you will usually see the connection dropped after several minutes or going on / off, the basic connection is still there..

According your router user guide it seems to support multicasting however I were not able to locate the steps as the guide only include the internal screens.

Follow the steps to verify the Multicast settings within your router settings, try enabling or disabling GMP Multicast Proxy as within your account settings under Network Settings > Broadband (a sample on page 36).

Also make sure that IGMP being set as version 3..

You may find the user guide below, search for those terms as Multicast and IGMP to get more direction:

ftp://ftp.zyxel.dk/P-2601HN-F1/user_guide/P-2601HN-F1_3.10_ed1.pdf

If you can't find those options contact your router service provider to get further direction to change those settings.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
Andy17
Message 6 of 7 (2,206 Views)

Hello shlomiL,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, following the steps in the guide resulted in losing my Internet connection until reversing the changes. :-(

Honor Student
HarryAinslie
Message 7 of 7 (2,088 Views)

Hi Andy,

I had the same problem as you and it took me a few days to work out what was wrong.

I think you will find that those routers aren't compatable with Bonjour. When i took a look at Eircom's forums who use the router in which youre using this is what an Eircom Rep said into relation of not bieng supportive of Bonjour services:

"Unfortunately our modems may not support some third party devices or services. I appreciate some people do have Apple products, however eircom obligation is to ensure that there is broadband/wifi which is compatible with PC, laptops, iphone/andorid phones and most tablets. I'm afraid that yes there are some services on third party devices that are not compatible with the zxyel modem."

So you've got 2 options basically, stick with the router you have and do without the services or change your router.

Kind Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation