c310a scan known issues (1528 Views)
Honor Student
skydogdoug
Message 1 of 9 (1,528 Views)

c310a scan known issues

I have been having problems with my c310a since the second day I owned it.  The first time I tried to scan 35mm images into my Mac Mini everything worked flawlessly.  I was able to scan and send to the Mini from the control panel on the C310a after making three or four selections from the menu on the printer control panel.  Now, when I try to scan the printer asks if I would like to send the info to the computer or a memory card I get the message "Scan Problem - Try starting scan from computer.  Refer to documentation for details."  I have tried to learn about any possible solutions online in forums, I have tried the interactive 'chat' approach, and finally I called HP and was told this is a "known issue" after uninstalling and reinstalling the C310a software.  The "scrub" as they called it allowed me once again to get the photo scan into the "last acquired" folder on the Mini, but no further.  That only lasted for a short time and soon I was right back to square one.  I am still getting the "Scan Problem" message.  Anyone else having the same experience?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (1,506 Views)

Re: c310a scan known issues

What happens when you scan from the Mini?  Does it work?  Does it "fix" the problem of scanning from the printer (I have heard of this happening before)?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
skydogdoug
Message 3 of 9 (1,497 Views)

Running the scan from the computer works.  It doesn't fix the problem, it's just that it takes nine mouse clicks at the computer for every load of pictures in the scanner.  I would much rather make the four quick selections from the menu on the scanner.  

I have uninstalled and and reinstalled the software a third time.  I am starting to notice a pattern.  The scan function works properly when it is opened from the scanner the first time after a reinstall and only the first time.  The scanned photos get properly sent and stored in iPhoto.  Everything seems to be working fine.  However, if I want to take a break, the printer goes for a nap while I'm away, and it doesn't remember how to do the scan-send to mini function anymore and wants me to run the scan from the computer.

Honor Student
skydogdoug
Message 4 of 9 (1,494 Views)

I almost went back and pressed "Kudos" for your response on the following page (from last month in this forum).  I did everything you list, which is close to what I was told to do by a phone tech at HP, but then I noticed the scanner wasn't working again.

Re: Scanner Settings in Snow Leopard 12-15-2010 

Student
panplayer
Message 5 of 9 (1,273 Views)

So did you find a solution?  I just got this printer.  I can print to it just fine.  But if I use the printer control panel to scan to my MacBook I get a message on the scanner that says device is in use, or something like that.  I can use the web scan, but that is a royal pain.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  If this doesn't work soon it is going back & I'm buying a Cannon.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 9 (1,263 Views)

Can you scan from your Mac using the HP software?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
rcunning02
Message 7 of 9 (1,066 Views)

Just bought  a C310a printer. I an HP C4180 before  That one worked great. My major use is scanning and saving to MS Word. I had on-line chat with one tech who said to contact phone tech. I had previously contacted phone tech and he was of now help.

One suggested reloading the software. That has messed up all my files. I have a Dell Inspiron computer with windows 7 and Windows Office 2003.

I must have a solution

Grad Student
Randy_K
Message 8 of 9 (1,020 Views)

rcunning02 -

You have posted your question in the area for Macintosh users of HP Printers and A-I-O's.  You may have better luck getting answers by reposting your question two levels up in "Scanning, faxing and copying", which is for Windows users.  Good luck!

Student
Sandrickha
Message 9 of 9 (614 Views)

Re: c310a scan known issues / I have 5 HP products and NO MORE (switching to Cancon and Samsung!!)

HP service has been horrible and I have encounterd numerous problems with HP. We have 5 products (3 laptops & 2 printers) and have had problems with 3 of them.

One laptop crashed and was sent in for repairs twice within 6 months. (It still doesn't sound great and we are just waiting until the next problem! Not a good feeling.)

Most recenly, I am suddenly not able to scan from the 310 printer. When I called, the customer service rep disconnected me -and-  the next one refused to let me speak with a supervisor. I was informed that the printer is "old" and out of warranty.

ConsideriIng that I have bought numerous products and was (key word) a loyal customer, you would think that HP would do something to assist. Wrong!  I was told that I could spend money to get help (which may or may not work) or buy a new printer. It would seems that HP products are "disposable" after the one year warranty as HP simply won't support or stand by the product without additional fees.  (Not very green, HP)

Rather than spend money on a service support for an "old and dated" printer (a couple of years) I'm opting for a new printer -- a Canon!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation