HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
10-20-2011 07:04 PM - edited 10-20-2011 07:06 PM
There are drivers available for the c510a for Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion).
There is currently not an installer package via hp.com, but the full feature drivers are available via Apple Software Update (ASU).
Depending on how your printer is connected (USB or Network) there are slightly different steps to follow.
1. Power on the Printer and connect the USB cable to both the printer and the Mac.
2. There will be a pop-up asking if you would like ASU to download and install the drivers for the c510 (answer yes).
3. ASU will then download the drivers, install them, and create a print queue for the c510a.
1. Make sure that the Mac and the c510a are on the same network.
2. Open System Preferences, Print & Scan, and click the "+" to add a printer.
3. Look through the list and find the c510a with Bonjour as the connection type. Click to highlight it.
4. Click add / confirm the pop-up asking to download the drivers.
Once this is done, and the queue has been created, you will have print and scan functionality in 10.7. With this install method, you will also have HP Utility; It will just be in a different location than the usual Applications/Hewlett-Packard folder. To access HP Utility, you can either use Spotlight to search for it (probably faster than navigating to it manually), or you can open Finder - Library - Printers - Hp - Utilities.
Scanning methods will be slightly different as HP Scan is not installed using the method above (HP Scan is installed with the download from HP.com which is currently unavailable). The three methods of scanning (excluding 3rd party software) are: Image Capture, Preview, and the Scan tab from within Print & Scan.
Please let me know if you run into difficulties, or have any questions.
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
10-20-2011 08:26 PM
I tried plugging my new c510a in to my Macbook Pro running Lion via usb port. I told it yes that I wanted to install software. I get an error that says software unavailable. Try back later. I got the same error last night when I tried doing it wirelessly.
Help. I just spent a ton on this printer and I need for it to work with Mac Lion!!
10-21-2011 12:38 AM
As retrieving the driver by Apple Software Update fails, download and install the full HP Printer Drivers 21.7 package below:
Once completing the installation, add the printer by clicking the Plus sign under Print & Scan.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution