Question

Student
hpkatfish
Message 1 of 8 (2,593 Views)

color printing help on HP Photosmart C4680

My printer will not print in color even though the color ink cartridges are full. 

It was printing in color, then the ink ran out and I put in brand new cartridges, which register as full in the supply levels, but everything prints in black and white.

I have tried removing and reinstalling cartridges, aligning/calibrating them, turning off/unplugging everything and starting over, selecting color instead of greyscale in printing options.  

Any help would be appreciated!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 8 (2,572 Views)

Re: color printing help on HP Photosmart C4680

Remove the color cartridge and, using a flashlight, look in the slot where it goes.  You will see a bunch of round, gold dots. This is where the printer makes electrical contact with the cartridge.  If one of these gold dots is dirty, torn dented or otherwise damaged, it may disable printing from the whole cartridge.

You can put some rubbing alcohol on a lint-free cloth and clean these contacts (and the mating ones on the cartridge).  The cloth will be ruined with ink, so choose carefully.

There are other failure modes that can cause this, but this is the only one you can easily fix.

I am employed by HP
Student
jdompeling
Message 3 of 8 (2,138 Views)

My printer has been doing the same thing. Both the black and color cartridges are full and were working just fine when I went away on vacation about a month ago. I just returned and the black cartridge works just fine, however the color one doesn't. I tried what was suggested in an earlier post (cleaning the gold dots with a lint-free cloth) but my printer still won't print in color. The golden dots aren't dirty or damaged. What else could be wrong?
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 8 (2,136 Views)

The color cartridge could have dried out. Although it should hav been capped during that time, the cap may be bad and allowed the cartridge to dry out. Hav you tried using the software to clean the cartridges?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
JGreens
Message 5 of 8 (2,029 Views)

This may seem like an odd question, but how do I print? I've had the printer for a couple of years and now it doesn't print anymore. I just bought two new ink cartridges and it printed the diagnostic page, but now prints nothing. Why isn't there a 'print' button? I've always hit 'copy' and that works, but now it's acting like a xerox machine rather than a printer? Please advise.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 8 (2,026 Views)

I am not sure I understand your question.  To see if the printer works, copy something from the front of the printer or go into the menus on the front panel and print a self test.

If it prints on its own then the printer is OK.  For the next step of how to actually print from a computer, you need to tell me the computer's operating system and how the printer is connected to your computer.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
JGreens
Message 7 of 8 (2,023 Views)

Hi,

My OS is Mac OS 10.6.8. The diagnostic test page prints fine. Now when I hint print just blank pages come out. I'm not sure what you mean how my printer is connected?

Honor Student
JGreens
Message 8 of 8 (2,020 Views)

I've figured out the problem--it was my USB port. Thanks for your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation