Question

Tutor
hsteinbe
Message 1 of 11 (16,556 Views)
Accepted Solution

how do you turn off the low ink warning

HI, I have an HP 8500a 910a running Mac OS X.6 and OS X.7. Printer is hooked up via ethernet to a Airport wireles base station. You can't use the WIFI on this printer because the printer continually malfunctions when it is in WIFI mode. You also can't use WIFI and ethernet at the same time! Printer has a continuous ink system (CIS) installed and therefore will pretty much never run out of ink. However HP printers don't work based on the actual amount of ink at the printer and there is no way that I can find to reset the cartridge chips. I should have never bought this HP printer (POS)... should have stuck with Epson...

So now that the printer thinks the inks cartidges are empty, it constantly throws up warnings on my screen, fills my entire screen with them. If you close them, they come right back.

Does anyone know how to turn them off. I tried the printer driver, the print utility, and the printer web page. None of them have options to turn off warning messages. One funny thing I have noticed is that the warning messages always go to the desktop machine, and never to the laptop. Why?

Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 2 of 11 (16,539 Views)

Re: how do you turn off the low ink warning

The printer was never designed to actually run with that type of setup, and it is not recommended as it may cause damage to the ink system, although some people have it work perfectly fine. I'm assuming you already knew this however.

As far as turning off ink alerts on the mac you can go to HP Utility, which should be on the dock or in the Hewlett Packard folder inside of Applications on your mac. In there you can go to the message center option under all settings, and then information. Go to settings in the top right of that window, and then there should be a check box to uncheck for HP alerts.

I am assuming since several are popping up you are talking about the mac, but if messages start popping up on the printer however that is a completely different issue.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
hsteinbe
Message 3 of 11 (16,538 Views)

Thank you for trying to help, but I already have the alert turned off there.

HP Support Agent
Jon-W
Message 4 of 11 (16,535 Views)

In that case i know some models from last year did use a third party piece of software called Growl for notifications. This may be what is causing those messages to still pop up. To see if that is installed go to system preferences on your mac, it would usually be the bottom option in there. If i remember correctly there is a tab in the settings for alerts, and you can then disable them in there.

Jon-W
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
hsteinbe
Message 5 of 11 (16,530 Views)

Thank you Jon-W! I do believe that did the trick. It was Growl! That is why the messages were not showingup on the laptop but were showing up on the Desktop.

Honor Student
P3n3l0p
Message 6 of 11 (16,480 Views)

I have a similar problem. I get dozens of "Genuine HP ink cartridges successfully installed" messages a day. My print utility however does not have "applications" on the menu bar, only devices, edit, view, and window. How can I get to the message center and turn those suckers off? I have an iMac running 10.7.3 and a HP OfficeeJet Pro 8600 with the latest dirver and firmware.

Tutor
hsteinbe
Message 7 of 11 (16,470 Views)

You have to go to system preferences on your mac, In the system prefs window, at the bottomis the Grol app settings. Click on Growl, click on the application tab, and uncheck the box next to HP Events.

Honor Student
P3n3l0p
Message 8 of 11 (16,465 Views)

If this is for me, I don't have Growl on my computer.

Honor Student
macmb
Message 9 of 11 (6,407 Views)

In HP Message Center Application, go to preferences (upper right hand) and uncheck all the boxes for "When the device status is updated"

You will avoid unnecessary ink changes, $ and a lot of annoying messages!

Student
fixprinter
Message 10 of 11 (3,067 Views)

Hi, I also want to turn off these ink notifications but am unable to do so in the message center settings. Under Display HP Alerts, I try to select/apply the choice to show only errors (not information and warnings), but I get the spinning rainbow circle and then a box that tells me the settings could not be applied because a critical error occurred. It tells me to restart the application and try again. When I do, the same thing occurs.

Can someone help me? Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation