Question

Honor Student
monolondon
Message 1 of 10 (1,963 Views)

i need a mac os x lion laserjet 1606dn driver as our printer has ceased working since the upgrade…

Since upgrading to Mac OSX 10.7 Lion our HP 1606dn has stopped working and the driver from HP when re-downloaded don't work — I'm guessing because they're PowerPC legacy stuff.

Any suggestions as to where I can get even a basic driver that will work?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 10 (1,937 Views)

Re: i need a mac os x lion laserjet 1606dn driver as our printer has ceased working since the upgrad

Hi,

You may try adding the printer by using the Print & Scan dialog, the Lion compatible driver will be automaticlly downloaded from the Apple Software Update servers:

Make sure the printer is connected to yoou network or attached to your Mac by usb.

Click the + Sign and select your printer.

The driver should be automatically located and installed.

After that check for any HP Update by Clicking the Apple menu > Software update...

Please let me know if you were able to add your printer.

If not, please specify which error you may see.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Grad Student
IronBadger
Message 3 of 10 (1,932 Views)

Re: i need a mac os x lion laserjet 1606dn driver as our printer has ceased working since the upgrad

Unfortunately the P1606 driver is not available through Apple System Updates.  HP is working on official Mac OS 10.7 support and will post the new driver to the P1606 support site.  In the mean time you should be able to get printing functionality using the Mac OS 10.6 installer for the device.

I just downloaded the Mac OS 10.6 solution from the P1606 support site (through Support & Drivers link above) and installe dit on Mac OS 10.7 Lion.  With the printer connected USB I could print a CUPS test page and a page from Safari.  So it should work for y ou as well.

I work for HP
Honor Student
monolondon
Message 4 of 10 (1,922 Views)

Hi

I've tried downloading the 10.6 driver but it still doesn't work — I'm connected to the printer via ethernet (the printer's quite a way from my desk), I suppose that could be the issue. I guess I'll just have to wait for HP to update the driver to 10.7 (which is a bit annoying, hey ho).

Thanks for your help.

R

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 5 of 10 (1,917 Views)

For the meantime. you may add the printer as Airprint and you will be able to print through the network:

Temporary connect the printer to your mac with a USB and update the latest firmeare (version 20110513) in order to add Airprint compability:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL32545/bi-95189-1/LJP1100_P1560_P1600_FW_Update.dmg

Connect it back to your network and add the printer by using the + Sign.

Make sure to set the Print Using selection as Airprint.

If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
monolondon
Message 6 of 10 (1,904 Views)

Hello

I tried that and the Firmware update wouldn't run. it downloaded and expanded, but the app just hung each time I ran it.

thanks for the suggestion though.

R

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 7 of 10 (1,899 Views)

Can you see the HP LaserJet Firmware download utility window?

You should select the listed USB Printer and press OK,

You will not see any indication to the update progress or any success alert, although it should be updated.

Simply wait for several minutes and try adding the printer Using Airprint.

I could perform the update by using Lion with no issues..

Honor Student
monolondon
Message 8 of 10 (1,853 Views)

No, it doesn't get as far as launching the utility.

I've downloaded the Guten Print driver from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php to keep me going until an official driver is launched. It worked OK.

cheers for your help though

R

Top Student
aapple1944
Message 9 of 10 (1,787 Views)

This worked for me. Thanks.

Student
jeffreyblume
Message 10 of 10 (347 Views)

I have installed my 1606 under Mac OSX 10.9 .  The printer is connected by USB to my Airport Extreme. 

The printer's wireless is not turned on, and as a result it will not do AirPrint. 

When I print the Configuration it shows under Network Information "Not connected" , shows "IP configured by = Manual".

I assume the HP Utility would allow me to configure the printer to turn on the wireless and set it to DHCP so that it will work, but the "HP Utility" does not recognize the printer (and doesn't recognize the printer even when I connect it directly by USB to my computer). 

I have tried for a few hours to find a download of the Utility on the HP website, but the only download I can find is the firmware upgrade.  

HELP!! I've owned personally, and bought and configured for my firm, dozens of HP laserjets over the years (the first in 1984), so I'm no novice at this.  But this is one of the most aggravating printer installs I've ever had.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation