Question

Honor Student
klue
Message 1 of 4 (6,127 Views)

is it possible to print without having the color cartridge in?

My dad and I have the same printer.  J6480 All in one Officejet.  He runs a PC, I have a Mac.  He showed me how to select just the black cartridge while using his PC.  Everything on the Mac is so different, and I can't find how to do that!  Is it possible...and how?!  It keeps using up all my color ink and leaves the black cartidge full.  I want to use the black cartidge when I simply print text. Save the color ink (since it's more expensive) for the other fun stuff I like to do.  Help!

Thanks.

K.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (6,120 Views)

Re: is it possible to print without having the color cartridge in?

Yes, you should be able to print with the color cartridge not installed.  Try it.

You should also find a black only print mode.  In the Print dialog box (the window after you start a print job with File>Print or Cmd-P) you can use the presets pull-down to find a black and white print mode.  If you do not see this pull-down, click the triangle next to the printer's name.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ladyrosebud
Message 3 of 4 (6,004 Views)

I need to print in black ink without the color cartridge from my scanner bed. Keep getting install notice.  Won't print.

Student
wbraat
Message 4 of 4 (2,614 Views)

Should be able to or can print without color cartridge?   We know you should be able.   The question is, is it possible?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation