Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just purchased HP Envy 7640 printer, and there are no drivers listed for MAC OS 10.6.8.I can  not upgrade the OS, as sever critical programs will not run on Mac OS 10.10. what recourse do I have?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I have Mac OS 10.6.8, and can not upgrade to OS 10 as critical programs will not run. I just purchased a HP printer Envy 7640, and there are no drivers for my OS

HP Recommended

Hi,

I afraid you will have to upgrade the OS for the printer to fully work ir get an older model which is compatible with Snow Leopard, the printer is only supported on Lion or newer OS versions as you may find listed below (Under the System Requirements section):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04353671

As a workaround you may use an alternative driver, but that will only allow printing from the Mac.

For that download and install the following package:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1770?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Next connect the pritner to the Mac or to the same network.

Open System Preferences > Print & Fax and click the plus sign.

select the listed 7640 printer and click the Print Using drop down and then on Select Printer Software.

Select the HP ENVY 5530 from the list and add the printer, that should allow printing to the 7640 printer.

Basic scanning can be done via the EWS interface by opening the Scan tab, that only applicable for a network connection and only provide basic scan options.

It can be reached by typing the printer IP address into Safari.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I also have a few Macs: iMac and MacBook with OSX 10.6.8 and purchased the Envy 5640. By setting up the Envy on my Wi-Fi, my computers do see the printer and print to it, as does my iPad and Android phone. I have yet to try scanning, but will look into your solutions. 

HP Recommended

In case anyone is still curious, check out VueScan. It's allegedly for  MacBooks too old to upgrade to El Capitan. The other option is to buy a cheap older scanner on Ebay or amazon. I bought an old HP scanner on ebay for $15.00 - free shipping. At some point someone should come up with software to allow you to do this. Vuescan is about $40 which is a little too much for my taste. If I had cash to drop, I'd be buying a newer MacBook. 

HP Recommended

I just bought an hp envy 4520 and it works fine with my macbook pro on OS X 12. However for my old macbook using snow leopard (OS X 10.6.8), I could not find a printer driver. So I downloaded the printer driver for HP Envy 4500 which worked with 10.6.8 and installed it on my old macbook. I downloaded it here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1770?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. I then went to system preferences and added the HP envy 4520 printer to the list of printers and selected the printer driver for the HP Envy 4500 which appeared in the list of drivers after I installed it. Now here is the good part: IT WORKED WITH THE HP ENVY 4520!!! I was able to print from the computer. Just be sure your computer and printer are on the same network.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.