my photosmart c309a won't print or copy black ink. I have replaced w new ink but still not working (2836 Views)
Tutor
PLSHELP123
Message 1 of 10 (2,836 Views)
Accepted Solution

my photosmart c309a won't print or copy black ink. I have replaced w new ink but still not working

I have a mac.  My photosmart c 309a suddenly won't print or copy black ink.  I have cleaned printheads, tried to align (failed this), took out & soaked print cartridge, and finally replaced w/ new black ink.  Still nothing!  I am getting some black ink when I try to align but nothing when I print.  Color will print.  Same issue when I try to copy - no black but will get color.  What do I do??? 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 10 (2,825 Views)

Re: my photosmart c309a won't print or copy black ink. I have replaced w new ink but still not work

What version of OS X?  If 10.6 or higher, download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

Now, remove the ink cartridges, then remove the printehead assembly using the gray lever on the right side of the carriage.

Clean the gold electrical contacts on the printhead (little dots about 1/16" diameter) and also on the carriage.  Use a damp, lint-free cloth.  it will be ruined with ink.

Reassemble and retest.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
PLSHELP123
Message 3 of 10 (2,810 Views)

Re: my photosmart c309a won't print or copy black ink. I have replaced w new ink but still not work

I did all that you suggested and still no black.  Tried to copy also & no black.  The colors still print.  Do you think I need to take the print carriage out again and re-soak?  

Tutor
PLSHELP123
Message 4 of 10 (2,809 Views)

Forgot to mention I'm on OS X 10.7.5 and did the install & restarted before the cleaning.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 10 (2,792 Views)

Yeah, I suppose a re-soak would not hurt.  Do you use HP ink exclusively?  If not, all bets are off.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
PLSHELP123
Message 6 of 10 (2,768 Views)

Yes, only HP ink.  If the re-soak doesn't work, what would be the next step?  Do I need to purchase another carriage?  I hate to put more money into this if it doesn't guarantee a fix.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 10 (2,763 Views)

Yeah, that is a quandry.  A new printhead is $95.  A decent new printer (with way more features) is $149....

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Bah62
Message 8 of 10 (2,729 Views)

Just tried the suggestion, after trying everything else, of holding down # 6 as you replug the printer.  It worked, thanks.  Try this first as it is much easier than the cleaning, which I did twice.

Honor Student
Bah62
Message 9 of 10 (2,724 Views)

Try the method that worked for me asosted before, unplug printer as younreplig hold down the #6 on the printer.  It rested and runs the diagnosis,  all else failed for me until this.

Tutor
PLSHELP123
Message 10 of 10 (2,694 Views)

I finally had time today to try the resoak method.  It worked!!!! 

I took out the printhead, continually ran hot water in the pan so the water was never dirty (about 1 inch of water), ran a small flow of water into the black screen on top as I determined I had nothing to lose, gently dried the electrical parts and immediately put it back in.  Turned the printer back on, it went through the alignment, etc, and printed black (as well as colors)!!!  Just copied black too.  It took me about 10-15 mins for the entire process. 

Hope this works for others as well.  Thank you all for the input.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation