Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK, if you are trying to establish a wireless connection make sure the USB cable is NOT connected to the printer when you run the HP software or it will just assume you want a USB connection.  It will eventually ask you to insert a USB cable but don't do so until it asks.

The error message about the disk is regarding a disk that you have connected to your Mac.  I doubt it is the printer but it could be if there is a camera memory card inserted in the front of the printer.  It could be another drive somewhere (maybe a small USB flash drive)?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.  I have disconnected all USB cables/external drives, memory cards, etc. from my Mac, and there is nothing inserted into the printer.  So it seems to be an erroneous message that is being generated and displayed.  In fact, if you disconnect the printer USB cable and connect it back into the MAC, the message is immediately displayed...if you have the USB cable cable disconnected when you boot the machine, I don't get the error message.  If I then connect the printer USB cable, I immediately get the message....so, not sure where to turn next for that.

As far as running HP Setup assistant, I have tried having the USB cable both connected and disconnected prior to running HP assistant.  When I runn HP Setup assistant with the USB cable disconnected, and select Configure Wireless, I get a message stating that I need to connect the USB cable temporarily which I then do.  Then I select configure which then prompts the program to scan the wirelss network for the printer.  However, it ends in the error message in previous post being displayed...

Its almost as if it requires having the USB cable connected to configure wireless, however, it thinks the printer USB cable is a cable for an external hard drive...

HP Recommended

I have no idea about the hard drive error.  It is clearly something with the printer camera card slots, but not sure what.

Let's try a different approach.  On the front of the printer go to Setup >Wireless > Restore Defaults.

Now, in the same menu on the front of the printer, choose WPS setup (Pushbutton).  Start it and within 2 minutes push the WPS button on the router.  They should communicate and connect.

Next, you will just go to System Preferences > Print & Scan:

Select the plus sign to add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

My HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m suddenly went "off-line". How do I get it

back "on-line"?  It still is "on-line" with my laptop but not with my desktop

computer.

HP Recommended

Print a Wireless Network Test from the Settings > Wireless menu on the front of the printer.  Is the printer connected to your router?  What router?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Got a new Comcast gateway router today.  Can't get the HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m to connect wirelessly to my network using OS X Mavericks.

I've done just about everything you can imagine.  I've restored the printer to default settings.  I've shutdown my router, printer and MacBook and restarted according to the proper order as directed.  I've downloaded the 3.0 update that was just available.  I can see hpsetup in my network listings and I can add the printer as a Bonjour printer IF I use hpsetup as the active network.  When I change back to my HOME network, of course the printer is added but offline.

I can print using a USB cable, which I DON'T want to do!  I went to the appropriate HP site, where there is NO driver to download...even when I key in "driver".

Printing the Wireless Network Test Report shows that the Network Name (SSID) Found has FAILED.

I can see all active networks in the HP Network Configuration Page listed, including my HOME wireless network.  

I do NOT have any PRINTER SETUP OR SOFTWARE in the HP applications folder.

I downloaded and installed the HPPrinterDrivers3.0.dmg.  It installed fine, but I have no idea where the setup or software was installed to.

What I want to know is WHY is there no Network Name Found?  And why does the Network Name of the printer show up as hpsetup?  And why does that network name show up in my list of wireless networks?  And how do I get that network to have the same network name as my router?

Help...I'm in desperate need of my wireless printer!

HP Recommended

Hello Docger

hi.. did you ever resolved the HP printer issue for wireless have the exact same issue. I read every step that you did to trouble shoot the issue and i'm as frustrated as you can imagin... Mac... trying to use my HP PHOTOSMART PLUS B209a as wirelss,please if you can help me I would greatly appreciated. 

thanks

Asadez

HP Recommended

Here's what to do...no thanks to HP online support!

On your Mac, click on the available networks symbol at the top of the screen.

Select HPSETUP and connect to that network.  The rest of your WIFI or connected network will now be unavailable.  

In Safari (DO NOT USE CHROME), type in the IP address of the printer.  Go to the mini screen on the printer and select "Wireless"  and write down the IP Address.  It should be 10.0.0.8 (or something similar).  Once again, don't use Chrome as your browser...use Safari.  For some reason, Chrome won't open the HP page.

You should see your HP printer screen in your Safari browser.  Go to the Networking tab and then select Connections>Wireless 802.11.  Select the Advanced tab. 

In SSID, put in your WIFI network name...the name you normally connect your Mac to (not the HP printer name you just selected).  In the Infrastructure area, select the Encryption/Authentication type you use for your WiFi.  In my case it is WPA.

For the WPA version, use the dropbox and select Automatic.  For the encryption, use the dropbox and select Automatic.  Put in your passcode for your router that you connect your network to...and then reconfirm this password.  At the bottom of the page, click Apply.

Close Safari.  Reselect your home network on your Mac.

You should be good to go.  You may have to uninstall the printer/scanner and and then reinstall your printer/scanner on your Mac under System Preferences>Printers and Scanners, but on installing the printer again, it will now be recognized by your Mac on the same wireless network.

Hope this helps.  I spent over five hours getting this to work...and read about 40 different "solutions".  Once I got the IP address of the printer, it took over three hours to get to my printer site online.  All because stupid HP won't connect via Chrome browser.

HP Recommended

See above, as I corrected a few things.  

HP Recommended

Hi Docger, I can't get my printer IP address the way you said, when I press the Wireless button on my printer it says "no connection found". Is there another way of finding the IP address? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.