Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an IMAC operating system 10.8.1.  I can't get my HP 6700 to print only black and white.  Even when I choose fast print black and white, it won't print that way.  I can't set up any new print preferences.  Now I am out of yellow ink and can't print anything.  Went and bought brand new black ink, and printer recognizes that black ink is full.

I'm sure just something I am doing wrong.  Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
From the application you are trying to print from, launch the Print Dialog (File > Print).

Click the lowest selection box, which usually has the name as the application.

Select Printer Features.

From the Feature Sets, select Color Options 1.

Set Print Color as Gray to On.

From the Feature Sets, select Color Options 2

Set Photo Neutral Grays as Black Only

Click the Presets Dialog, click Save Current Settings as Presets, provide a name for the preset and save it.

You may now set and save an additional preset for color by setting the Print Color as Gray to Off and Photo Neutral Grays as 4 colors and save it as another preset for color.

The last used preset will remain for future jobs and you may switch easily by selecting the preset according your needs.

Best of luck,
Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75
HP Recommended
Greetings,

Have you tried hitting command key + P in whichever application you are currently in? It should give you drop down options to change to gray scale.

Don't forget to mark a post as solved if it fixed your issue

HP Recommended

Yes.  the options I get at that time are as follows:

Printer:  I have the HP Officejet 6700 selected

Presets:  I can choose from a list of presets but I can't modify the presets

Copies:

two-sided

Pages

Layout

Pages per Sheet

Border

Two-Sided

PDF

and then to print

There isn't a place where I can choose or modify the grey scale.  Thoughts?

HP Recommended
Just to make sure this wasn't a global driver issue, I went ahead and tested it on my 8600, I was able to print black and white.

I would suggest reinstalling the full feature driver, here's the download link.

Don't forget to mark a post as solved if it fixed your issue

HP Recommended

Hi,

Also please make sure to follow the guidelines below and check if that may help:

1. From the application used to print, click the File menu and select Print. The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized: Click the blue triangle next to the product model (Mac OS X v10.5 or v10.6) or the Show Details button ( Mac OS X v10.7 Lion) to see all available settings.

2. To access the color options, click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

3. Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.

4. Click the triangle next to Color Options to expend the settings.

5. Set the Color field as Grayscale.

6. Set the Grayscale Mode as Black Ink Cartridge Only.

For easier future use you may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset... Then you may select it from the presets menu with a single click...

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have the same issue and the printer is just not printing! This is so aggravating and one of the worst user experiences to make customers buy more ink even though they don't neded it! I am ready to bring the printer back and exchange it. HP just lost a customer!

HP Recommended
Hello Qwert123,
Thanks for the post. Does this occur from any application? For instance, if you open an image in Safari, choose file/print, under presets, choose B/W or B/W draft or do you have that option? Same options should be available in Preview. If not, check to ensure the OJ6700 is listed as the printer currently being used. Let us know the results......Good Luck!

http://goo.gl/gGR88
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

HP Recommended

I too have this issue, but maybe slightly different?  On Mac OSX 10.8.2  

The printer complained of ink levels.  I put in a brand new black cartridge thinking I could print from black and white regardless the state of the color cartridges.   I pick black and white printing only / Draft and it complains about the other cartridges.

I went to my store and they were out of one color so basically screwed printing black and white, even though I had a full black cartridge in place.

I guess it's not a very smart driver, or from the above issues, might not even be printing properly?

I was so frustrated with the experience I went out again and purchased a Canon for $29 on sale during Boxing week which was cheaper than buying the color cartridges.  I'd prefer the 6700 but it might just get replaced.

Help?

HP Recommended
Hello again Qwert123,
This may be a combination of a couple of issues, or more to the point, a timing issue. You mentioned being out of Yellow and cannot print. This pulled from the User's Guide, page 74. I hope this helps........

Print when one or more ink cartridges are depleted
The printer can still operate when the black ink cartridge or one or more color ink
cartridges are depleted, but it will print more slowly. Also, the quality of printed documents
might be affected.
The printer will not be able to print when both the black cartridge and a color cartridge
are depleted.
• If the black cartridge is depleted, any black color in printed documents is created using
a combination of the remaining colors. As a result, blacks might not appear to be as
dark.
• If a color cartridge is depleted, the printer will print in grayscale using the black
cartridge.
When possible, replace any depleted ink cartridges. For information about how to install
new ink cartridges, see Replace the ink cartridges.
CAUTION: While ink cartridges are not damaged when left outside of the printer,
the printhead does need to have all cartridges installed at all times after the printer is
set up and in use. Leaving one or more cartridge slots empty for an extended period
may lead to print quality problems and possibly damage the printhead. If you have
recently left a cartridge out of the printer for an extended period, or if you have had a
recent paper jam, and have noticed poor print quality, clean the printhead. For more
information, see Clean the printhead.
Chapter 7
74 Work with ink cartridges
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

HP Recommended

Cartridge Magenta – Depleted,

Black – New 932XL Cartridge

Thanks for the information from the manual, but it is not working. As soon as I give the print command another pop up opens up complaining about the depleted cartridge and prevents any printing.. got to be a other solution for this problem..

Jay

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.