Question

Student
magie0987
Message 1 of 32 (48,832 Views)
Accepted Solution

printer 'offline' when actually not

HP photosmart 3200

worked fine until two days ago, wont print.  Message says offline but everything is plugged in, downloaded drivers and software -no help.  Using new USB cable but still not reading.  Have a mac, what else can I try before having to buy another printer?

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 32 (48,829 Views)

Re: printer 'offline' when actually not

Try this sequence:

1. Unplug the USB cable and reset the Mac printing system (see this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1341).
  2. Turn off the printer and unplug the power supply.  Now  press and hold the * and 6 keys while plugging in the printer.  This will reset the printer.
  3. Let the printer power up and wait until it finishes the extended power-up sequence.
  4. Plug the USB cable in.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Intern
Medic1
Message 3 of 32 (48,805 Views)

The wifiguy's post may work temporarily but it is not a permanent fix. 

I figured this all out after many unsuccessful attempts with HP Support, my Internet Service Provider and various troubleshooting tasks including reinstalling HP software over and over and over.  Well, through self teaching on the internet and 6 grueling months of research, I FINALLY figured it out.  OMG!  I am a Paramedic and somewhat computer literate but by far no expert.  I here all of you!  Nobody seems to have the answer but I promise…I do.  Here ya go! 

Don’t worry about reinstalling anything, no recycling your printers’ power or your Router/Modem.  The reason your printer is unstable on the network and continues to either go offline or disconnect from the network is NOT because the software is glitched, it’s not a firewall problem per say, it’s because most networks use a “range” of IP addresses and for security purposes, it sort of “cycles” the various devices’ IP addresses to decrease chance of an attack.  A printer is no threat but the “network” doesn’t possess human intelligence so it doesn’t know this.  Below are my step by step instructions on how to basically make your printer hold its IP address instead of changing back and forth through a cycle therefore dropping your printer off the network or disconnecting. 

Funny, if you are someone who has had items in your print cue, they won’t print, and you turn your printer off and then back on and suddenly your documents print…well, join my club.  The reason this works is because when you first turn on the printer, it starts with the same IP address before it cycles.  If you are someone who sits there for a while and suddenly your documents print without you changing anything…this is because through the IP cycle change, it hits your printers IP address and the network will allow it to print.  Not very funny, I know.  It took me forever to figure out why my printer would print sometimes but not all the time.  Since I figured this out, I can SCAN, PRINT and use all of the features of my installed HP software such as HP Solution Center, Photosmart Essentials.   

Press the setup button on the printer, use the arrow keys and look for Network and press OK.  Inside the network menu, print a network configuration page so you can see the IP address and other settings for your printer.

Now, go back to main menu on your printers’ screen.  Or you can go to your web browser and type in the IP address using the decimals too and this will take you to your printers’ web page.  Choose: setup\network and press OK.  Look for IP settings and press OK. Choose manual instead of automatic. Enter the IP address there manually as well as the default gateway which you can see on the network configuration page that you printed earlier.  Note: If you manually set the printer's IP, make sure that it is outside of your router's DHCP range. Otherwise you may run into an issue with duplicate IP's on your network. (If you don’t know how to do this, write back and I will explain).  Don’t forget to click “save changes”.  Now, restart your computer and print anything you want.  :-)

A trick I often use with printers in DHCP networks:
In Printers and Faxes right click on the printer and select “properties”.  Click add a new port.  Choose standard TCP/IP port configured to the printer host name. Read the hostname from the printer's network configuration sheet.

Using my method means that you always connect to the printer even if its IP changes (which may happen with dynamic configuration). This does not jeopardize your network security.  It just tells your printer to stay put and stop traveling the IP address highway.  :-) 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 32 (48,797 Views)

Many network devices, including our networked printers, will ask for the current IP address in use from the wireless-router when the lease is about to expire.  Though not required to, most wireless-routers will honor the request from the device.  If the device has been turned off for an extended period of time, then the wireless-router may elect to reassign the expired IP address to another device,

In general, changing the IP address  leased to the printer should not cause a problem as the printer SW on the computer will try and discover the printer's IP address.  If the discovery process fails, the printer SW will think the printer is "offline".  The most common reason for discovery to fail is if the security SW on the computer (aka the SW firewall like Norton/Symantec) interferes with our printer SW running on the computer.

The other reason for our SW to falsely claim that the printer is offline is if the response to a periodic request for status is delayed or missing.  In this case, the printer SW on the computer will think the printer is "offline".  Again, the most common reasons for delay is due to the security SW interfering with printer SW on the computer or if the local wireless-router has significant latency or delay in routing packets amongst local network devices.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
swimmer
Message 5 of 32 (48,308 Views)

I am having the same problem, but have an older HP printer/scanner, not wireless.  It is a 5 year old Photosmart 2610.  For the past hour I have been scanning pictures--working fine, then it just stops working, says it is warming up but nothing happens.  If I turn it off and back on, and then start all over again, it will work, but only for one more scan.  Any HP experts out there that can give me advice?   (Using a MAC with OS X 10.6.4).  This is not the first time I have had this problem.  While printing, I get messages saying that it is offline, in the middle of a print job.  This just started happening about a month ago, but is very annoying.  Thanks in advance.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 32 (48,294 Views)

Where did you get the HP software for your printer?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
swimmer
Message 7 of 32 (48,286 Views)

When I got my Apple computer in November 2009, I just plugged the old HP printer in--did not do anything with software.  It worked fine and never had this problem until about two months ago.  Now it is a chronic problem.  I have not done anything with printer software other than upgrading Apple software as needed.  

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 32 (48,277 Views)

OK, thanks for that.

Are you using Image Capture to scan?  If not, try that.

Also let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System. WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

Finally, if that does not work, try replacing the USB cable and make sure you are not using a USB hub for your printer's cable.

I am employed by HP
Student
bowermang
Message 9 of 32 (46,266 Views)

this worked well with the printer that the HP is plugged into, but the main computer still could not print. No new printers were recognized by the Print&Fax add a printer, so I used the same steps for the main computer.  Still no new printers show, so now I have no printers to choose from.  Any thoughts?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 32 (46,254 Views)

bowermang,

Are you sharing between computers?  Are they both Macs?  What version of OS X are they?  Are they on the same network?

Both computers have to be on, the one sharing must have printer sharing enabled (System Prefs > Sharing) and the printer sharing box checked in System Prefs > Print & Fax and cannot be asleep or off.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation