Question

KDD Honor Student
Honor Student
KDD
Message 1 of 15 (2,174 Views)
Accepted Solution

printer pauses

I have a C4780 all in one connected wirelessly via Airport to a Macbook.  Lately I have had delays in printing, partial printing, and pauses in printing . I called HP and did all the things the tech told me to do, and it improved for one day.  I have tried online support, but the site doesn't recognize my serial number & product number.  Help!  I am wasting paper, time, and patience.  It worked great up until about a month ago

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (2,169 Views)

Re: printer pauses

Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 10.0.1.2 to .200.  Let's use 10.0.1 220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (ends with .1) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
KDD Honor Student
Honor Student
KDD
Message 3 of 15 (2,123 Views)

I am afraid I am computer illiterate.  It took me 20 minutes to find a configuration page, now I have no idea how to do step two.

KDD Honor Student
Honor Student
KDD
Message 4 of 15 (2,122 Views)

Okay, I feel like an idiot.

I do not understand the directions, and when I tried to print them to go step by step, the printer paused again.  How can something that worked so well suddenly be such a problem?  Is there a manual somewhere?  an HP printers for idiots book?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 15 (2,115 Views)

Here are the manuals for your printer but they will not have these instructions: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3794615&

Step two means to open an Internet Browser like Internet Explorer.  In there, type your printer's IP address (from the test page) into where you would normally type a web address (for example, www.yahoo.com, but instead, just type your printer IP address).

I am employed by HP
KDD Honor Student
Honor Student
KDD
Message 6 of 15 (2,080 Views)

HELP!  I can't get past step one.  Is there any chance you can break this down for the computer-challenged?  Where do I find the spot on my browser to type it in?  (I use Firefox).  I am ready to go Epson because I am so frustrated.  I love HP, but when I have a problem, I love it less.  Please, please, please help.

Grad Student
Randy_K
Message 7 of 15 (2,077 Views)

KDD -

I'll try to do this by memory.  In Firefox there is a long rectangular white box right near the top of the page.  Its almost the full width of the page.  It contains the address of the page which you are currently viewing from the internet.  For example, the page I am on right now is

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Macintosh/message-id/15879

In order to manually change what you want to look at you can type into this box to change the address and then press enter.  You would replace what is in the box with the address that you got from your unit's printed out configuration page and then press enter.  I hope this helps.

- Randy

Honor Student
hcole
Message 8 of 15 (1,892 Views)

I wen through the steps suggested changes but when I click on apply after changing the setting, i get the following message...   "The fields in red contain out-of-range or improperly formatted values. Please correct to continue. " all 3 adjusted fields show up in red on this screen. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 15 (1,886 Views)

[ Edited ]

What router are you using?  The last set of digits in the iP address cannot be bigger than .253

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
hcole
Message 10 of 15 (1,878 Views)

I'm using a linksys router that was using a range from .100 up to .254 so i was using .260 which was out of range. I changed my setting to .98 and that fixed the problem. I wasn't able to take your solution all the way through to test to see if it will fix printer pause problems. I have a secondary issue I'm going to need to fix first. I think i'm going to have to have network guy in to fix the other problem.

I have 18 stations and i set most of them up for the printer on the first day. After that, when i went to add the printer to the remaining stations, it can't be found. i've tried detecting automatically, typing in the ip addresses and any other option it gives me. It doesn't seem to find the printer to add to any of my other computers. Because of that, i can't delet the printer off my pc and re-add, as it won't find it again. It's odd, if i type in the ip address into the browers, they can all find the printer but when i try to add it in the add printer wizard, no luck.

After i get this problem solved, i will follow up and let you know if your solution for my print pause problem works. Sorry for the lengthy repsonse, i figured if someone else is having similar issues, maybe they can get some answers as I work my way through these issues.  Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation