Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a brand new Laserjet 1102 (the non-wireless variant) that is connected to a print server (D-Link DPR-2000). When printing to it, I get the error message "Couldn't open fifo (2)" in the printer status window.

I've tried attaching to it through LPD, IPP and SMB but neither of them works. If I connect to it using Bonjour, I get a message that I am connected to the printer but then nothing more happens. If I connect the printer directly to the computer it shows up and print just fine, but not when going via the print server. Moreover, even though the printer is connected and turned on, the print server for some reason believes it to be "off line".

The print server itself have successfully worked with other HP printers (One Photosmart 8050 and one LJ 1200) so I don't see why it shouldn't work with the 1102. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I was happy to find this question, but sad, there are no answers - got the same problem 😞

Helle

HP Recommended

We are experiencing the same issues (OS 10.6) on a LaserJet 1606dn. any help or insight would be great.

thanks.

HP Recommended
Same error message here.

iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
LaserJet P1560 connected via USB to a Windows XP machine. Shared using SMB.

Works some of the time.
HP Recommended

I solved the problem changing the Protocol LPD (line Printer Daemon) to HP Jetdirect-Socket. 

Previously I had installed the most recent HP driver and printer software.

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having this exact same issue running Mac OS X 10.8.4 connecting to a shared printer on a Win 7 x86 desktop. I was wondering how you were able to change the protocol from LPD to HP Jetdirect - Socket. Did you set up a new printer or is there a configuration page somewhere else that I can go to change the current printer?

Thank you for your help

Best,

Anthony

HP Recommended

Thanks Ruben02! Been puzzled why wireless printing suddenly stopped working on my P1102w printer. Changing to HP Jetdirect-Socket when adding the printer again helped.

For those experiencing the same problem and can't find the printer over the network automatically: Start up the printer. When the blue light on your printer is lit up, press and hold the cancel (X) button for a couple of seconds until the printer starts to print a configuration page. Locate the IPv4 address on that paper. 

On your Mac, go to System Preferences > Printers and scanners > Remove any existing non-working printers > Click the + button to add a new printer > Click the IP icon > Enter the IPv4 address in the IP field > From Protocol, change IPP Internet Printing Protocol to HP Jetdirect Socket > Wait a few seconds for the driver to load automatically > Click the Add button. > Start printing!

HP Recommended

Thanks - worked like a charm

HP Recommended

I could never properly express the frustration this printer has caused me. It's not just how it does not work, it's the mind boggling ways in which it has failed to work.

HP Recommended

Thank you!  Don't know why it suddenly needed this change (has worked perfectly for over a year), but it seems to be fine now.  Happy and Healthy New Year!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.