Question

Intern
Goldylocks
Message 1 of 10 (1,209 Views)
Accepted Solution

"Printer is Offline"

Sometimes--much too often--my printer refuses to print, and the  message, 
Printer is Offline" appears on the screen.  What "First-Aid"measures should I take when  this happens?

I have an iMac using OS 10.6.7.My printer is a HP psc 1350 all-in-one printer-scanner-copier. My friend has a PC and router about twenty-five feet away which is connected to the Internet by cable. My Mac is wirelessly connected to that computer. My printer is connected to my computer by cable. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 10 (1,194 Views)

Re: "Printer is Offline"

It is really not clear how your printer is connected.  Is your Mac really connected to a PC?  Is the printer connected to the Mac by USB or to the router or to the PC?

Anyway, are you sure you have the correct HP software for OS 10.6?  This could be the culprit.

I am employed by HP
Intern
Goldylocks
Message 3 of 10 (1,191 Views)

I can't understand why you say, "It's not clear". I don't think it could be clearer. Anyway, I'll try again.  (1)  Internet connected to PC by cable, (2) PC connected to modem by USB  cable, (3) Modem broadcasts to Mac wirelessly, (4) Mac connected to printer by USB cable.

HP software update version 1.0,4 installed  9/3/10;  driver version 1.2

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 10 (1,187 Views)

OK, I got what I needed - Mac connected to printer by USB.  Thanks.

Let's start with the easy fix; reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If that does not work, I have more ideas.

I am employed by HP
Intern
Goldylocks
Message 5 of 10 (1,185 Views)

I got as far as, "Select the plus sign to re-add it," but nothing happened when I did that. No printer appeared. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 10 (1,183 Views)

OK, well, we know that the printing system is reset now!  Before we go to the next step, make sure your printer is plugged directly into your Mac and not through a USB hub.  They can cause these problems.

Now, if it still does not work, let's uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Finally, download and install the Driver / Software from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Intern
Goldylocks
Message 7 of 10 (1,179 Views)

It's now 11:10 PM, so I'm gloing to bed. I'll be back tomorrow morning, though. Until then, I'll try to understand how you can plug the priinter into the computer without using a USB plug. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 10 (1,176 Views)

Not USB plug, I said USB hub.  This device plugs into your computer and provides multiple USB ports.  Don't run the printer's USB cable through one of these devices.

I am employed by HP
Intern
Goldylocks
Message 9 of 10 (1,172 Views)

Okay. I'm not using a hub.

Intern
Goldylocks
Message 10 of 10 (1,171 Views)

Sometimes the simplest way is the best. My External Hard-Drive stopped working in April. I tried--and failed--to fix it, and I thought I was going to have to buy a new one. True, prices have come down dramatically since I paid $280 for it, but I still didn't look forward to paying $50+ for another one. Anyway, today I made one last stab at trying to see what was wrong and fixing it. I called Apple. It took us a while, but we finally stumbled across the fix: WE PLUGGED THE PRINTER CABLE INTO ANOTHER USB PORT. That did it, and my external hard drive is now working again. Then I thought of of printer problem. Guess what? The same treatment worked, and I now have my printer back with me. All I did was plug the printer into another USB port. A successful day. A happy day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation