Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Each time I try to print to my Laserjet 1300, I see a message in the print queue stating, "Waiting for printer to become available."  It never processes.  I delete the job, try again but the same result.  Result is same for short plain text, PDF or .jpg files.  However, I can print a test page directly from the Laserjet 1300 printer.  Have rebooted computer and restarted printer with no effect.  Am able to successfully print to my backup HP Deskjet F4180.  Am using a MacBook Pro OS 10.6.6.  All software updates have been made.  Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, let's repair permissions:

1. Open Finder: Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.  Open it.

2. Select your Macintosh HD on the left side, then click Repari Disk Permissions along the bottom.

3. Let it finish (20 minutes or so), then close Disk Utility.

Reset the printer - I am not sure how to do this.  Turn it off and unplug it from the wall for 15 minutes?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
HP Recommended

If you are using Snow Leopard and have HP software for pre-Snow Leopard (either from a CD not marked as compatible with 10.6 or you recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and had the HP software on your Mac before you upgraded - even if you did a standard uninstall of the old software or installed new software over the top of it) you must uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall <<<< Scrubber Option
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Restart your Mac

Now, run a Software Update.

Finally, reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I'm using OS 10.6.8 and I'm getting the above message. I'm trying to use your "scrubber" fix, but there is no "Hewlett Packard" folder or app in my Applications folder, and I can't find an HP Uninstaller. I've run a search. I've found the HP Color LaserJet 2550L application, and what I think are some extensions or plug-ins, but no Uninstaller. Any suggestions?

Thanks

HP Recommended

OK, get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page and install it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I checked out all the updates on the page you referred me to, but did not download any of them. The main reason was that information about the updates said: "The latest HP printer driver for devices listed below are built into Mac OS X 10.6. You do not need to download or reinstall any HP software for full printing functionality." So I assume that when I set up the printer with my computer, running OS 10.6, all that software was installed. Further information on the page warned me not to install any software meant for earlier versions of OS X because it could cause problems. All the software downloads I looked at on the page were for OS 10.3, 10.4, 10.5. The only software that appeared suitable was a "Firmware" update. I ran a configuration page from the printer and found that my Firmware Datecode was different than the download. But looking at the information about what problems this Firmware addresses, there was no mention of the "Waiting for printer to become available" problem.

Also, about a month ago, I received a Software Update that included HP Printer software updates and I dowloaded and installed them. 

So it would appear that I should be all up to date on my software. Sorry for the long response. Any other suggestions? Do you know if HP is working on addressing this problem? Thanks again for your time.

HP Recommended

I don't know but I recommend using the Full Featured software for a network connection.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Please explain what "Full Featured" software is and do I find it on HPs website? BTW, my printer is not connected to a network. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Oh, sorry, its not avalable for your printer.

How about let's reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions and reset the printing system. I'm still getting the  "Waiting for printer to become available" message. This time I got it before even the first print job. Before I was able to print one item before i got the message. 

Or was re-setting the printer just the first step in a process? 

HP Recommended

How is your LaserJet connected?  If by USB, make sure it is not going through a USB port, but is plugged directly into your Mac.

If that is the case, change the cable to a known USB 2.0 compliant USB cable.

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.