two-sided printing with HP DeskJet 6620 and Mac OS X (7753 Views)
Honor Student
djsimm
Message 1 of 9 (7,753 Views)

two-sided printing with HP DeskJet 6620 and Mac OS X

Can anyone tell me how to turn on two-sided printing (it's grayed out) with an HP DeskJet 6620 and Mac OS X? I recently moved the printer from a PC to the Mac and have updated the driver and software.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 9 (7,745 Views)

Re: two-sided printing with HP DeskJet 6620 and Mac OS X

I do not have any  Mac experience, but on the PC in Vista it is necessary to go to the Printers folder, open the printer properties, Device Settings, Installable Option and set the duplexer to installed.  There may be a similar procedure for Mac to enable to duplexer hardware.  Google turned up this that may have the appropriate procedure in step 1.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Intern
STaylor
Message 3 of 9 (7,709 Views)

Hey djsimm,

First make sure you have a paper type selected that is supported for duplexing.  Do a test with just plain paper. 

If it still can't be selected,

I am going to assume you have OS X v10.5 for this, if you have 10.4 or earlier the process is the same but the names have been altered,

Go to your system preferences,

Open Print and Fax

You should have your printer listed in the left window pane, double click it.

Click on the Info button, (usually a round blue icon in the top frame)

Go to the Driver tab (This may also be under Installable options)

Make sure the duplexer is checked.

Now if the checkbox is greyed out, the driver may not recognize the duplexer.  At this point it is time to make sure the Printer sees the duplexer as installed.  Print out a configuration page from the printer, usually this is somethng like turning the printer on, press and hold the power button and at the same time press and release the cancel (X) button.  Than let go of the power button. 

On the page there should be an entry for Automatic Printing Module, check the status.  If it says somethiing like "Not Installed"  The printer isn't seeing the duplexer.  Remove the duplexer and check the connections and make sure nothing is damaged or bent or dirty.  Reinstall the duplexer, and try it again.

Steve

Honor Student
djsimm
Message 4 of 9 (7,675 Views)

My Printers folder contains two files: a UNIX executable file, Printers.sdb, with which I don't know the application to open it; and, a text file, Printers.sdw, in script I can't decipher.

David 

Honor Student
djsimm
Message 5 of 9 (7,672 Views)

I'm just using the usual letter-size paper; I have OS X v10.5.6 for this; the Driver tab doesn't have a checkbox for the duplexer (the printer only supports manual two-sided printing); the printer configuration page is in code I can't decipher (this may be beside the point given the manual two-sided printing).

David 

Honor Student
mrstucci
Message 6 of 9 (7,616 Views)

Hi- I hope it's ok if I jump in here because I am having the same issue I think. We have a new HP Officejet j6400 with the duplexer. We are running our Macs on 10.5.6. The duplexer option is checked. I tried to print a configuration page but all the printer did was to shut down. I need some more help! Judy
Intern
STaylor
Message 7 of 9 (7,493 Views)

Judi,

Self test pages can be tricky.  If the printer is shutting down, it is normally because you released the power button before the cancel or "x" button.   For products that don't have a Color Graphics Display (Test pages are done through the menu on those), The process is:

Turn printer on and let it cycle

Press and hold power button

While holding power button, press and release the "X" or cancel button

release the power button.

Some helpful hints.  On printers with no CGD, the "X" button counts and 10 (X=10) and the resume or paper feed button counts as 1.  Most printers that can duplex automatically have a self test for that function, it's usually 33.  Which means pressing and releasing "X" 3 times, and than pressing and releasing "resume" 3 times before letting go of the power button.  

-Steve

Honor Student
mrstucci
Message 8 of 9 (7,428 Views)

Hi Steve- I tried what you said and all my printer does is shut down. I am not sure what is the 'resume' button- the 2 manuals I got in the box with the printer are pretty much worthless. There is no diagram showing me what each button is so it could be there but not labeled. I held down the power button and at the same time, pressed and released the X button three times. Printer shut down. Tried just holding down the power button and pressing the X button once and my printer shut down. What's next? Judy
Student
JSGarner
Message 9 of 9 (1,630 Views)

I had this problem with my HP 6980 with duplex option on my iMac running  OS X 10.7.3.  Here is how I fixed it.

1. Open System Preferences
  2. Open Print and Scan
  3. Right Click on Deskjet 6980 in Printer window
  4. Select “Reset Printing System”
  5. Click OK for “Are you sure you want to Reset the Printing System”
  6. Click “+” to set up a printer
  7. Select Deskjet 6980 Series
  8. Select “Options & Supplies”
  9. Make sure “Two-sided Printing Accessory” is selected

10. Go to the document you want to duplex print

11. Select “File”, “Print”

12. Go to the “Copies and Pages” drop down box and select “Layout”

13. Make sure either “Long-Edge” or “Short-Edge” “Two-Sided” printing is selected.

14. Select “Print”

This fixed my duplex printing problem.  Hopefully it will fix yours.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation