Question

Top Student
Susanbf
Message 1 of 10 (956 Views)

why do I keep getting an error message on my hp officejet 5510 all-in-one

I am able to scan and to use fax and copier, but I keep getting an error message when I try to print anything from my computer (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.6). I talked to tech support at Applecare and they spent an hour and a half with checking out the connections with me as well as re-installing the program.. said everything was ok on the Mac side, but I needed to talk to hp as they suspected a problem with the driver. I then downloaded driver.. but that didn't help the problem. I called tech support at hp.. they said they would need to charge me to work with me and tried to convince me that I should just turn it in and buy a new hp all in one printer. Can you help? Is there anything else I can do??

Thanks

Susanbf 

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 2 of 10 (948 Views)

Re: why do I keep getting an error message on my hp officejet 5510 all-in-one

What's the error message?

Top Student
Susanbf
Message 3 of 10 (941 Views)

The error message is:

first, there's a red circle that appears with the number one (or two if I try to print twice) on the icon of the printer on my desktop (on the bar with all the icons/apps at the bottom of my computer). Once I click on the red circle, a window opens that says hp officejet 5500 series (2 jobs) but under status it has a small arrow and says "error".

Any ideas what's wrong?

Susan bf

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 4 of 10 (937 Views)

Hmm.  Let me grab one and install it and see what's going on.

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 5 of 10 (934 Views)

It appears that there is something that is not quite right with the driver.  I hesitate to do a lot, since the unit is working as it is.  However, we can try a few things.

1. Go to HDD/Utilties/Disk Utility, repair disk permissions.  That simple utility fixes a lot of weird errors that crop up. 

2. Delete the printer queue, and then readd.

3.  If we still have the issue, you can try resetting tegh printing system and than readding the Officejet. 

Top Student
Susanbf
Message 6 of 10 (912 Views)

By printer queue do you mean deleting the list of jobs in the printer's menu? If so, thats been done and has no effect. Do you mean deleting the printers that are recognized by the computer?

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 7 of 10 (909 Views)

Delete any jobs in the queue, and than delete the printer queue itself.  It will be listed on the left side of the Print and Fax window.

Top Student
Susanbf
Message 8 of 10 (905 Views)

We have deleted and readded the officejet multiple times and it still isn't working. It's not printing a test page either. We repaired disk permissions and that didn't seem to help. 

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 9 of 10 (902 Views)

Time to reset the printing system, then re-add the printer.

Top Student
Susanbf
Message 10 of 10 (897 Views)

I did it.. reset the printing system and then re-added the printer. It still has error message when I try to print a test page.. but noticed when I readded the printer, it said that some of the software is missing. I don't understand if that's the problem. 

any other suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation