wireless printer says its offline (12341 Views)
Student
Chipmunk04
Message 21 of 39 (7,392 Views)

Re: wireless printer says its offline

[ Edited ]

I will jump in and say I am having the same problem as everyone else.

I am running Mac OS X, Snow Leopard.  I have an HP Photosmart Plus B210e printer.  I purchased my HP printer at the same time as my Mac laptop and the software came from a disc include with the printer that was clearly labeled for Mac.  I am running my wireless through a modem provided by Verizon.

The printer worked fine when we first installed it to the laptop.  One day it just stopped working and started to say 'printer offline.'  I have tried to readd the wireless network, that worked for a day.  I have also deleted the printer and re-added it that did nothing. The printer does print when it is hardwired directly into my laptop via USB cable.

At this point I have to hardwire my laptop to the USB cable whenever I want to print which defeats the purpose of a wireless printer.  Any suggestions on how I can fix this mess?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 22 of 39 (7,384 Views)

Chipmunk04,

Did you try restarting the Verizon router just before installing the printer?  Try that.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
marygibson81
Message 23 of 39 (7,045 Views)

Restarting this thread, maybe... this has been an ongoing problem for me ever since I bought this d*mn printer. I have the HP officejet 4500 wireless. Right away a year ago when I got the thing I had problems with getting my Mac to find the printer/see the printer as being online. Then I changed the SSID to a name longer than four characters, and then it worked sometimes... Then we tapped into my neighbor's wi-fi instead which was routed using an Airport (Mac) instead of a Linksys - problems vanished and the printer always showed up. This is something we figured out on our own, by the way, after HP tried and failed multiple times to help me... clueless, that's what they were.

Well now I moved, and guess what, the problem is back. Now I'm using an Actiontec DSL modem and an Airport Express, which I thought would replicate the network (ie, having it be a Mac network so to speak) that worked before. Well, first it took me forever and a day to get the printer to be recognized at all, I ended up having to stop the Actiontec from broadcasting at all (I had first set up the network on it and figured it wouldn't matter if I left that alone when I set up the Airport Express too) and use the Airport Express solely. Even though the HP printer showed that it was connected to the Airport network as was the Mac, and I could access the printer web site proving that they were indeed on the same network. I finally got it to see the printer and thought the worst was over, with no clue still about WHY it was being so finicky. But then I realized that the durn thing only works for the first few print jobs, and then suddenly is showing up as being "offline" to the Mac. Even though I can STILL see it via the web browser. If I hit the "wireless" button on the printer itself to turn off its connectivity and then hit it again to reconnect, then it will suddenly work again for one or two print jobs. Then back to the same thing. I've wasted enough of my life on this, and I refuse to spend any more so for now I'm resigned to just walking over and resetting the wireless button when I need to print something. You can imagine how long I'm going to have the patience for that.

I spent over a $100 on this printer last year and I'll tell you right now, unless HP can actually figure this out and solve it I will NEVER be buying an HP printer, or HP anything else, again. This is obviously an ongoing problem that HP doesn't seem to care to resolve (prove me wrong, HP, I dare you). They're likely thinking in a short-sighted way, assuming that there are so few Mac users out there, who cares? Well, I'm on a college campus, and I've got news for you -- EVERYONE is using a Mac. Or at least a vast majority of them are. And I and everyone else I know with a Mac has no plan to ever go back to Windows, unless things drastically change. So it would be in HP's best interest to actually HELP its Mac customers instead of scorning them and their problems. Right? Business 101?

If anyone from HP out there is actually paying any attention, I eagerly await your response and actual help in this matter -- but if you don't want to bother, that's fine, I'm checking out the Black Friday deals on your competitors' printers right now...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 24 of 39 (7,040 Views)

What version of OS X are you using?  Is the HP software on your Mac known to be compatible with your version of OS X?

In the mean time, let's Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range).  Yours is 10.0.1.2 to .200.  Let's use 10.0.1.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
marygibson81
Message 25 of 39 (7,036 Views)

Been there, done that, saw the movie...

I tried every trick I could think of and that you or anyone has ever posted online as a "solution": with static IPs, MAC addresses, clearing the print system, switching off the router then reinstalling and on and on and on... I've sank hours and hours into this in the past year. I have tried both just having the Mac find/install it and by using the HP software/drivers. We went through all this before, and I went through it again now that I've moved. Apart from the period where it worked smoothly when it was connected to my neighbor's Time Capsule network it hasn't worked right. And that doesn't make any sense at all. However it did not work when I first used the Linksys (well, sporadically it worked after I changed my SSID to a six character name instead of a four character one, weirdly) and now when I moved it wouldn't work at all if the Actiontec modem's router was in use. It will only work if it is connected to a network from a Mac device, first the Time Capsule and now my Airport Express. Right now I have it USB connected to my Airport Express and at least for the moment it seems to be printing ok, but I am not happy with that since the scanner, copier and fax do not work - the HP utility is useless. But of course I can access the printer via the browser and it says its happy as a clam! Argh.

I fail to see how this can be anything other than an HP software issue...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 26 of 39 (7,033 Views)

Well, I think it is a function of your router.  You have evidence of this when it connected to decent routers (Linksys and Apple Airport Extreme/Time Capsule).  Honestly, Actiontec (and other ISP-issued routers) are junk and are generally not Wifi Alliance compliant.  HP printers are tested to Wifi Alliance compliant standards and can sometimes not play well with routers that are not.

The Airport Express is a great range extender (I have 5 of them), but are pretty lousy routers.

I would recommend you get a good router - Airport Extreme, Linksys or Netgear ONLY and be done with it.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
marygibson81
Message 27 of 39 (7,024 Views)

No, you misunderstood me. It never would connect to the Linksys router. ONLY to Apple routers. And we did try a Netgear router as well, that was the one I had before I got the Linksys. I assumed it was somehow incompatible and donated it to a charity (which I then set up for them and it works fine - for all their PCs and their Brother printer) and then of course we discovered that the Linksys had the same problem (and now the Actiontec). And I am NOT paying the money at this point for an Airport Extreme; if that is the only router that it will work with, that is pretty asinine, don't you think?

This is not just user error or "junk" routers - they *all* WORK FINE with other printers we tried and every other computer/TV/Blu-Ray/etc that I've hooked up to them. To suggest such a thing publicly is nothing but a cop out on your part. This only proves my point that HP doesn't give a crap about this despite the fact that searching the Internet reveals that a ton of people have had this kind of problem.

I'm done with this, and will continue to advise people online of the HP problems I have had and suggest that they avoid HP products for the time being, at least until they show that they are serious about playing nice with Macs.

Student
masters01
Message 28 of 39 (6,841 Views)

I have a Netgear router for my MAC laptop and my sons Dell PC.  We were having some trouble with the router but got that fixed.  Then I had to reset things.  Now, my HP 6380 wireless printer/scanner shows as OFFLINE.  It is listed in Systems Preference as my printer.

What can I do to get both printer and scanner to work?

Help!

Debra

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 29 of 39 (6,836 Views)

From the front of the printer: Setup > Network > WIreless Network Test.  Is the printer connected to your router?

If not, in that same Network menu: Restore Network Defaults.  Then, also in that same Network menu: Wireless Setup WIzard.

Finally once the printer is connected to your network, reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP
Student
linber
Message 30 of 39 (6,508 Views)

I moved everything from Hp to Acer. I had an HP laptop; it WAS connected to an HP printer.  Hated the laptop.  Sold it.  Got an Acer.

Now printer is offline.  HELP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation