Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-j108tx Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Everytime I close a game or application my speakers make a loud buzzing noise.  Sometimes it stops on its own after about 1 minute, other times the only way to stop it is to open a new application that uses sound and then the sound seems to work fine.  This happens for both the laptop speakers and my headphones.

Checked in Device Manager and there is an aduio device: "High Definition Audio Driver" which has the error: 

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

however if this device is disabled the sound still works fine but I have the same issue, there is another device called: "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" and the status of that one is fine.  I have rebooted laptop, then uninstalled both these devices and then reinstalled the audio drivers (from the HP website) and rebooted agian and still have the same issue.  This started about 1-2 weeks ago and I havent made any software or hardware changes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @timyeend

Thanks for the update & appreciate the efforts 🙂

Let's try using the Windows default drivers. Here are the steps:

• Go to device manager.
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @timyeend - Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are getting a buzzing noise while closing the applications on your HP Envy notebook. Appreciate all the troubleshooting steps you have done! Great job 🙂

Let's first try the audio troubleshooter. It might be able to fix audio problems automatically. Click http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg69319 to download and then run the Audio troubleshooter. 

If the issue persists, I would recommend updating the IDT audio drivers as suggested below:

1. Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
  2. Expand the Sound, audio - right-click on IDT audio driver, and select Update Driver Software
  3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to update the drivers.
  5. Restart the PC once done and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  When running the audio troubleshooter it just advises me to reinstall drivers, and also to enable to the device (the onoe of which I advised was disabled and doesnt appear to be used for my sound).  I also tried updating the drivers but windows determinded my driver is up to date.

HP Recommended

Hello, @timyeend

Thanks for the update & appreciate the efforts 🙂

Let's try using the Windows default drivers. Here are the steps:

• Go to device manager.
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks, I installed the windows default drivers as suggested which resolved the issue, I then right clicked the device again and slected to update drivers and selected the auto suggested drivers which again installed IDT ones and the issue appears to be resolved now

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.