Post new question
Question

Community Manager
Message 1 of 2 (10,557 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can’t hear any sound from my computer

Product Name: Notebook PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My sound isn’t working in Windows 10. No audio at all from YouTube videos, music/media players, Windows system sounds, etc.

I am an HP employee, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
Accepted Solution

Re: Can’t hear any sound from my computer

The first troubleshooting step I would recommend is the easiest: restart your computer. Sometimes a single application can take control of your sound device and not let any other apps use it, but you can release that control by restarting.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

• Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows
  • Try connecting headphones or a set of external speakers
  • Set the default sound device to make sure your computer is sending audio output to the correct device
  • If your computer came with Windows 10 installed, you can restore the original sound driver in HP Recovery Manager, or update the driver through Device Manager
  • If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, you can update the sound driver in Device Manager
  • Hard reset your notebook

These solutions and more are explained in detail in this document: HP Notebook PCs – No Sound or Distorted Sound from Speakers.

View solution in context
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 2 (10,552 Views)

Re: Can’t hear any sound from my computer

The first troubleshooting step I would recommend is the easiest: restart your computer. Sometimes a single application can take control of your sound device and not let any other apps use it, but you can release that control by restarting.

Here are a few other steps you can try:

• Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows
  • Try connecting headphones or a set of external speakers
  • Set the default sound device to make sure your computer is sending audio output to the correct device
  • If your computer came with Windows 10 installed, you can restore the original sound driver in HP Recovery Manager, or update the driver through Device Manager
  • If you upgraded your computer to Windows 10, you can update the sound driver in Device Manager
  • Hard reset your notebook

These solutions and more are explained in detail in this document: HP Notebook PCs – No Sound or Distorted Sound from Speakers.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation