Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ac121na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, the sound on my notebook 15-ac121na (energy star) became distorted and crackly about a month ago. I can't associate this with a specific event such as upgrading the OS etc., it just happened overnight. The sound is really crackly, especially when is on loud. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @LondonUser

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the sound is distorted on your computer.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below link to fix this issue.

http://hp.care/2gzK8Cf

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @LondonUser

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the sound is distorted on your computer.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below link to fix this issue.

http://hp.care/2gzK8Cf

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, this seems to have done the trick. Many thanks!!!

HP Recommended

Hi @LondonUser

Thanks for the reply.

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This driver download worked for a little while after I installed it in November, but the distortion came back.

I've verified in Device Manager the driver is still the one listed as the remedy.

HP Recommended

hi, same here. The issue is back even though I have followed all instructions to the letter. I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi! @LondonUser, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you still have audio issues after troubleshooting.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Open control panel/Sound
  2. On Playback tab, select Speakers/Headphones Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device, then click properties
  3. On General Tab, in the Controller Information group box, click properties
  4. From the Realtek High Definition Audio Properties Dialog Box, on the General Tab, select Change Settings
  5. Select the Driver tab and click Update Driver.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot, I have followed your instructions and got the message saying 'the best driver software for your device is already installed'. No change on the sound front. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi @LondonUser,

Thanks for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, don't worry as I have a few other steps that should help to resolve the issue,

Please follow the steps suggested in the guided troubleshooter - Click here

Here is a link to help resolve the speakers and sound not working correctly. The link to using the Windows troubleshooting tool is the best for this situation.

You could try:

1. Right, click the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner by your time.
2. Click Playback Devices.
3. Click Speakers.
4. Click properties.
5. Click the advanced tab on the Properties window.
6. Change the Default Format drop-down to the highest quality.
7. Apply the properties.
8. Click OK to close the properties window.

Use the following steps to run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) Audio Test. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete for each audio output port.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed. Click Component Tests.

4. The Component Tests menu displays. Click Audio.

5. Click Run once to start the test.

6. Select Speaker to begin the test.

7. uring the test, a few music notes will be played in sequence and repeatedly. Listen carefully and select the number of notes you hear in the sequence. If you enter a tone number incorrectly, run the test again. If you hear nothing, select No sound.

8. When the Audio Test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

If the audio test passes, return to the Main menu to exit and restart the computer.

If the audio fails the tests, a failure ID will be provided. Write down the information so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in the Test Logs, on the Diagnostics UEFI main page.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Biswajeet,

I have followed your instructions to the letter and still getting distorted sound, especially when watching movies etc.

Are you able to assist me further?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.