Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion DV6, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and I'm having trouble with sound via HDMI.  I can connect to TV via HDMI cable and picture is fine but I don't get any sound through TV.

I have set HDMI ATI output as the default under playback devices but sound is still via laptop. If I right click HDMI ATI and click Test, I get the following message:

"The device is being used by another application. Please close any applications that are playing sound to this device and try again".

I have no idea what applications could be playing sound or how to find out!  Hope someone can help.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Welcome to the Forum,

Try this to get started...

Right click on your Sound icon in the Taskbar -> Playback Devices -> Right-Click on Speakers and Headphones

CHECK "Show disabled devices"

CHECK  "Show disconnected devices"

If, after all tests, that driver still does not succeed - it may be possible to roll it back.  Depending on the TV, sometimes one driver version or another is a better "fit".

Hope this helps.

Click The Kudos for Thanks!       

Click Accept as Solution if it's Fixed!

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for replying.  Still no joy I'm afraid. Can you tell me what "rolling it back" means? Sorry!

HP Recommended
I am sorry! Sloppy jargon. I meant you might try an older version of the audio driver. Some TVs (particularly older Philips?) sometimes like older audio drivers.
Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you! Found how to roll back to older version and still no luck.

TV is LG so I emailed them and they said that it should work and that I should try a new HDMI cable 1.4 or higher (which I did, still no sound!) and that if that didn't work it would be "down to the graphics card of your laptop and it sounds like it doesn't have an integrated sound card".

The graphics card is an AMD M880G with ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4250 but I don't how to check if this has an integrated sound card.

I have also tried connecting an audio cable and still no sound via TV. I've checked that the speakers on TV are set to 'on' for HDMI input.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

Well, it's gotta work.   LG works.  dv6 HDMI works - therefore it will work.  Smiling.

What's your exact dv6 model?

Find Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!

Click Accept as Solution to help others find Solutions / Answers!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

This is repeat from another post - I'll repost here:

Order of Events Does Matter

NOTE:  If this does work, the "Hard Reset" rule applies - it should "stick", that is, you shouldn't have to do it this way each time - it's just a matter of getting it set up.

Order of Events - A "Hard Reset" of the HDMI Audio Setup:

• Enable Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
  • Connect HDMI  from computer toTV’s HDMI/DVI input port
  • Set your TV input to HDMI/DVI input.   (You won’t have sound yet.)
  • Turn of the TV.  Shut down the computer.

• Boot the computer - wait for it to boot all the way.  Log in.
  • Sound should be "dead" - no system sounds at this point. 
  • All the audio should be going through the HDMI port.
  • If not, and you are getting sound, try setting "Digital Audio" setting (if you have it) as an option, [quote] "although this should not be necessary."
  • Remove any headphones and any other non-HDMI output from computer and Reboot.
  • If you get sound, it's still not ready - play with the sound output.
  • When you get it to the point where the sound is "dead" (while the HDMI port is still connected) after you reboot, you are ready.
  • Turn on the TV.
  • Check for Sound through the HDMI port.  Should be working.

The FIX-ALL Link for HDMI:

I could take credit for this - but, you know - this is just not my area of expertise...  Your solution may be here - almost everything that can happen to HDMI has happened to someone at some point.  I've used this forum before - it's a great reference.

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-79711-laptop-sound-on-tv-with-hdmi-cable

I hope this helps.

Click The Kudos for Thanks!       

Set Accept as Solution if it's Fixed!

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for all of your help. I tried the hard reset without success and had planned to go through the posts on the link you posted when I had time but luckily for me I have just received a Blue Ray player for my birthday complete with a LoveFilm App! Thank you for your time and I'm sure that it will help lots of other people who are about ready to throw their laptops out of the window!

HP Recommended

Hurray!!  I love happy endings!!

Happy Birthday!!

If you are happy, then I'm happy. :generic:  I count this as a success.

Come back if you need anything else...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I meant you might try an older version of the audio driver.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.