Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 17-j120us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My IDT audio works fine and my laptop's sound works fine, but when I hoop up my laptop to my TV through a HDMI cord I get my laptop's video output displayed on my TV but no sound from my laptop is output to my TV. I think the problem is because there is something wrong with my High Definition Audio Device. It has a yellow triangle next to it with a ! in the middle of the yellow triangle in device manager under Sound, video, and game controllers. And when I click properties on the High Definition Audio Device, it says, " This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful". Any help would be great. Windows 10 is CLEAN installed on a NEW HARD DRIVE. I DID NOT upgrade, windows 10 was clean installed from a disk.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See if this works...

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file listed is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Then download and save, but do not run the W10 Intel graphics driver from your notebook's support page.

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

File name: sp72370.exe

Right click on the Intel graphics driver file you just downloaded and select 7-zip from the list of options.

Have 7-zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file to its folder name (sp72370).

Go to the device manager and click on the problem HD audio device.

Click on the driver tab, click on Update driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

Then restart the PC.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, that is the Intel HDMI audio device that is having a problem.

See if this works...right click on it, and select uninstall.

Check the Uninstall Driver box and restart the PC.

Hopefully the HDMI audio driver will reinstall itself properly.

If not, I have one other trick up my sleeve.

HP Recommended

I tried. It didn't work. I've also tried updating it, it says it is up to date. What is your other solution?

HP Recommended

See if this works...

Download and install this free file utility.  The 2nd file listed is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Then download and save, but do not run the W10 Intel graphics driver from your notebook's support page.

This package provides the driver that enables the Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

File name: sp72370.exe

Right click on the Intel graphics driver file you just downloaded and select 7-zip from the list of options.

Have 7-zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file to its folder name (sp72370).

Go to the device manager and click on the problem HD audio device.

Click on the driver tab, click on Update driver.  Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Wow! Thank you; it works great! How did this work? It even registers that my TV exists in the Playback devices when it didn't before. What did you do? What was the secret? And why didn't it work before this, what hindered it? What was changed???

Thanks a lot though, this is working great.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The best I can tell is that the graphics driver did not automatically install the Intel HDMI audio driver, like it was supposed to when you ran the driver.  If you did not install any drivers after you updated to W10, then W10 did not find the audio driver it needed to work the HDMI during the upgrade process.

As a result, the HDMI audio chip did not have a driver and because of that you had video but no sound out of the HDMI port.

So by doing what you did, you forced Windows to look for a driver which is in one of those folders that 7-zip created.

Then windows just finds the install script for the audio driver and bingo, the device gets installed and is working as it should.

HP Recommended

Hi, I am running into the problem that you solved. I got through most of your steps but whenever I try to update my problem drivers manually the updates gets stoped almost immediatly and I get a message saying (kind of condiscendingly) "The best drivers for your device are already installed" and I can't update my driver with the file I extraced. Do you know how to get passed this problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.