Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Intel Pentium
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On 3 occasions so far, and fairly recently, a short while after I boot up my notebook there is a high pitched (singular) beep. There are no indications of whether something is wrong and I can't determine what triggers it.

What does it mean? And can I do anything about it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@zoso
Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand on start up your HP product High pitched beep sound,

It is normal for the computer to make one or two short beeps during the startup process or during a BIOS update. Let the process continue and do not interrupt it.

However, if the computer beeps and Windows doesn't start properly, a more serious hardware problem exists.

The most common problems that cause beeping sounds are:

• Memory and heat-related failures caused by a build-up of dust in critical cooling areas
  • A keyboard key is stuck
  • A memory DIMM or hard drive cable is not seated properly
  • A component on the motherboard has failed
  • A basic computer function was unable to start

For more information about obtaining a fix as such,
Click here for desktop
​​​​​​​Click here for notebooks.

If issue persists, please reply with the product or model name of your computer.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@zoso
Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand on start up your HP product High pitched beep sound,

It is normal for the computer to make one or two short beeps during the startup process or during a BIOS update. Let the process continue and do not interrupt it.

However, if the computer beeps and Windows doesn't start properly, a more serious hardware problem exists.

The most common problems that cause beeping sounds are:

• Memory and heat-related failures caused by a build-up of dust in critical cooling areas
  • A keyboard key is stuck
  • A memory DIMM or hard drive cable is not seated properly
  • A component on the motherboard has failed
  • A basic computer function was unable to start

For more information about obtaining a fix as such,
Click here for desktop
​​​​​​​Click here for notebooks.

If issue persists, please reply with the product or model name of your computer.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for the info and help. It's much appreciated!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.