Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks DVortex,

I tried your suggestions but the microphone is continuing to mute itself.

If you or anyone else have any more suggestions  they would be welcomed.

Thanks,

GGG5

HP Recommended

Hello, @GGG5

Thanks for the update!

I would suggest you create a new local user account in Windows 10 and check. Follow the steps here to create a new local account in Windows: http://hp.care/2dWJKgW 

Once done, login to the new user account and then try using the Microphone. 

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sorry "HP employee".

I admire your optimism. However, optimism often fails to solve anything.

ALL the suggestions you list we have tried over and over.

ALL the suggestions on MS pertaining to this problem we have ALL tried over and over.

Please do not suggest things UNLESS you personally have experienced the problem.

Suggesting remedies for problems you have not experienced NEVER works.

In other words, we did NOT come in on the last load of bananas.

IE: One should NEV ER have to cut off one's feet to solve athelete's feet.

Or give up a feature to get around a real problem.

Sorry but the above is true. I am certain you have faced this very dilemma in your life.

In any case..................

Have a "NICE" day!

HP Recommended

Hi! @patdee, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Have you tried connecting an external headphone with the mic to your PC and does it work?

Please uninstall the audio driver from device manager and install the audio driver from recovery manager.

Go to windows desktop

Hold Windows key + Letter R key.

Run dialog box would open type devmgmt.msc

Device manager window will open.

Expand Audio device and inputs.

Right click the audio driver and click uninstall.

Restart your PC.

And install the audio driver from recovery manager, refer this article to know how to install drivers using recovery manager.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello "Mr Robot":

I have read your response.

Did you honestly believe that I had not LONG ago tried Everything you suggested? Huh?

Wow!

What does it take for either HP an/or MS to admit that they goofed and put a problem IN our PC's? Instead of paying empoyees to come up with "off-the-top-of-one's-head" answers, which NEVER work.

Unless you have actually experienced this problem, please spare us of senseless and wast of time "cures" which NEVER work.

Finally: to answer your last question:

NO you were NO help at all. You have apparently not seen an/or experienced the problem. For IF you had experienced it, you would KNOW that" off the shelf" rememedies are a waste of time. For EITHER HP and/or MS has caused the problem. and until a bonified engineer who cares comes up with a bonified cure, I and all the many others that are experiencing the problem of automuting the mic, are going to have to live with a HP computer that will NOT permit us to use a mic. 

How sad indeed.

If you wish block me. I could NOT care less. But I am ticked of at HP and MS for such criminal acts.

Oh indeed yes.

May Jesus have mercy on the lot of "yuz".

patdee

HP Recommended

@patdee,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards

Mr Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Update

In another forum with people having the same problem with their microphone self muting, someone mentioned they ran malwarebytes and some rootkits were found. After they were removed his problem was solved although he didn't understand why?  Since I had nothing to lose , I did the same. It's now been three days and my microphone hasn't muted itself. Hope this helps.

GGG5

HP Recommended

this has worked for my computer - so far! I downloaded the malwarebytes free software, ran the scan, and was able to set my microphone to a level - and have it stay that way.  Hurrah!  Thanks

HP Recommended

This is also a problem for me. I have tried all of the suggestions. They do not work. This issue started about 2 weeks ago.

Edited to add: I posted this reply before I saw the Malwarebytes suggestion. That worked!

HP Recommended

Hi  NannaD & Crinoidgirl,

I'm glad my suggestion helped the both of you.

I wanted to let you know my mic hasn't self muted

for six days now. Hopefully this will be a permanent

fix for us all.

GGG5

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.