Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7t-1100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can anyone (1) confirm that this model of laptop has an internal microphone and (2) tell me how to get it working?

Narrative:

I have had this laptop for several years with Win 7 64-bit, recently upgraded it to Win 10 Home 64-bit.  When running Win 7, I definitely used an external microphone with the input jack, but I'm not sure I ever used the internal microphone.  Yesterday I tried to use Skype and couldn't get the microphone to work (I don't have an external mike where I am now).  Started trying to analyze and the only  Recording device listed in the Recording tab of the Sound control panel is "Stereo Mix, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" - not sure if this applies to the internal mike.  Neither speaking to nor tapping on the microphone hole above the screen caused any response at all in the level bars at the right of the window.

Started to doubt that I have an internal mike, so looked for specs.  On http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02910495, I found "Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone (VGA)", which led me to check out the integrated webcam under Imaging Devices.  Still no definite confirmation that I have an internal mike, but I found an image of the laptop with mike identified next to the webcam, that corresponds to my laptop, so I really think the hardware is there.

I used Device Manager to check for updates for the webcam device (HP Webcam-101), and it said the drivers are up to date.  I did the same for the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, also up to date.  I think the drivers were updated when I upgraded to Win 10 in February.

That's it -- any information or suggestions are welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @BruceBon

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and see that you are having issues with the Microphone on your HP Pavilion g7t-1100 CTO Notebook PC. 

The reason that you cannot find Product Specifications or proper User Guides/Manuals is because the model that you have is a CTO Notebook, this means that it was customized/configured to order. Where did you happen to purchase your Notebook?

When I went to the HP Pavilion G7 (Generic) Maintenance and Service Guide, it does show an internal microphone located at the top of the LCD display, but again, your Notebook is a CTO model that is why there is no definitive Product Specifications because each one can be customized. 

You could try looking over some of the screenshots in the Resolving microphone problems document. There are a few sections of this document that you can try. 

If you right click can you see the Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices in the Recording tab of the properties?

Do they have check marks beside them?

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting, and where you bought your Notebook from. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @BruceBon

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and see that you are having issues with the Microphone on your HP Pavilion g7t-1100 CTO Notebook PC. 

The reason that you cannot find Product Specifications or proper User Guides/Manuals is because the model that you have is a CTO Notebook, this means that it was customized/configured to order. Where did you happen to purchase your Notebook?

When I went to the HP Pavilion G7 (Generic) Maintenance and Service Guide, it does show an internal microphone located at the top of the LCD display, but again, your Notebook is a CTO model that is why there is no definitive Product Specifications because each one can be customized. 

You could try looking over some of the screenshots in the Resolving microphone problems document. There are a few sections of this document that you can try. 

If you right click can you see the Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices in the Recording tab of the properties?

Do they have check marks beside them?

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting, and where you bought your Notebook from. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

The key part of the solution was:

"If you right click can you see the Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices in the Recording tab of the properties?"

I didn't know this right-click menu existed!  The internal microphone device was disabled (I know not why).  Once I enabled it, all is well with the world!!

THANK YOU!

HP Recommended

Hey!

That is fantastic! I am so glad that you found the internal microphone and that all is well with the world! 🙂 I am unsure also why it would have been disabled. What I can tell you is that from my own personal experience when this happened to me, I had a little pop up come up and I skimmed the pop up text and clicked okay. Well, I later found out the hard way that it also said it was going to set the external device as my default (disabling the internal device). That is one possibility. However, you found the solution and that is great news! 

Thank you for using the HP Support Forums! 

Have a great week! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.