Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a problem with internal microphone on my HP ProBook 6460b with Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit.

Sound works OK but the internal mic doesn't record any sound. Drivers are up to date - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC v. 6.10.6328.0 installed from HP drivers support page.

HP ProBook 6460b

p/n: XU550AV

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

we have this problem with all our probooks. the problem: very buggy IDT audio drivers. You can check if you're having the same problem:

- open IDT audio control panel (idtsg.cpl)

- check which mic is selected (there are two). Probably 'microphone'.

- select 'digital microphone' and click 'boost' beneath it.

- don't close the control panel!

- open a recording ,program of any that uses microphone (Skype)

- in the program, find out where to choose input and open that (sound settings in Skype)

- watch IDT panel - it automagically switches back to 'microphone'. duh!

Knowing that 'microphone' is the front analog jack input en 'digital microphone' is de one next to the webcam, you now know why this won't work. Selecting the right one manually does work though. just open the program first, and then switch back.

very bad, also considering the price of these notebooks...

HP Recommended

Thank's for your effort, bug2fix.

I have two recording devices available in Windows right now: 'microphone' and 'integrated microphone system' (device names here are translated from Polish and can be different in English Windows).

• 'Microphone' device  works - but you have to plug in an external mic first.
  • 'Integrated microphone system' doesn't work at all.

I checked according to your suggestions, but it didn't work. There is no idtsg.cpl on my system either - I tried your solution with 'SRS Premium Sound' panel which comes with IDT driver and with plain Windows Control Panel Sound control.

What's more, I think the internal microphone on my notebook worked before the BIOS update to F.03 (BIOS update was suggested by HP SoftPaq Download Manager). But I'm not 100% sure...

HP Recommended

I gave up on this one and sent it back for servicing. I'm pretty sure it was a hardware failure.

HP Recommended

Select the correct microphone in the IDT Panel, then go to skype (Tools, Options, Audio settings) and turn off  "Automatically Adjust Microphone Settings". 

After that Skype will not switch you to the non-working microphone.

HP Recommended

Hi,

My laptop have the same problem too.

Time of this report: 5/9/2012, 08:58:44
Machine name: xxxxxx
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120305-1505)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP ProBook 4530s
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8126MB RAM
Page File: 3300MB used, 12950MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers / HP (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76D1&SUBSYS_103C167D&REV_1002
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: stwrt64.sys
Driver Version: 6.10.6365.0000 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 9/8/2011 05:42:28, 535040 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: IDT
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Communications Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76D1&SUBSYS_103C167D&REV_1002
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: IDT
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Microphone (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: No
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: Integrated Microphone Array (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: Yes

Description: Stereo Mix (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No

Please notify me when this issue is fixed.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Did you got it fixed?

HP Recommended

There is no solution to this problem.

HP Recommended

You may find this to be a solution to the problem. From boot up of your hp Probook, hit the F10 key (or ESC depending on your laptop setup) to enter the BIOS. Go to System Configuration. Select the Built-in Device Configuration. Make sure the box beside Microphone is checked.

If it is already checked, then uncheck it, save changes on exit, let the laptop finish booting up. Then shut it down (not restart). Start it up again from a complete shutdown and hit F10. Again, System Configuration>Built-in Device Configuration>check the box beside Microphone, and save changes and exit saving changes. Let the laptop boot up. Your mic should now be working. You may have to set your internal mic built into the display as your default (or set the Stereo Mix IDT High Definition Audio Codec as the default) to make it work. You do that by right clicking the sound icon in the system tray and clicking Recording Devices.

HP Recommended

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.  It was necessary to select in skype which laptop microphone/mike it was to use.

My hp 4520s laptop internal mike, the mike next to the camera lens above the display, was not working with skype.  It was working with laptop audio test and you could see in the graphic display when sounds were received.  Skype would work with another mike plugged into the right hand  jack in front of the keyboard.

The solution was to go to skype, tools, options, audio, etc.  Select the internal microphone as the preferred option.  Then run the skype test.  It was successful.  Maybe, it will not now work with the mike plugged in front of the keyboard.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.